FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My wife left me

James-Coventry
Community Member

Hello my name is James, I’m 29 years old. 

in August ‘23 I got my married to the love of my life. The woman I thought I would spend the rest of my life with. We planned to have children next year some time. Life was great. 
until about 4 weeks ago she said she doesn’t love me anymore and she can’t be the person that I need her to be. My whole world got destroyed. I lost my wife, my house, my dogs and my cats. She said maybe in the future we can be civil and maybe even friends. But I don’t think I can do that. I can’t watch her move on from me with potential someone else. I’m already in so much pain I don’t know if my heart can take anymore. Does that make me a bad person? Maybe. I’m scared. Lost. And unsure where I go from here.

2 Replies 2

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

James

I am sorry for how your wife treated you.

seversl months does not seem enough time to leave a marriage"

could you see a marriage counsellor by yourself or with  her. 
i think talking to someone may help you.

we are listening to you. 

becky_1992
Community Member

Hi James. 

I know what it feels like for someone to leave you out in the dark and it is the most painful thing imaginable. It is going to hurt for awhile and you are going to experience a lot of emotions… it will be a rollercoaster. Can you move in with or get someone to stay with you who loves you and can support you? Perhaps see a professional counsellor and go to your GP if you find yourself feeling anxious and depressed. These are all things that helped me after my partner told me he doesn’t love me after a 2.5 year relationship and that he will never marry me. It hurts like hell… but you will find your feet again. Just believe it’s going to be ok… whether that means you go back to her or you wait it out to find someone else later you will be ok. I know this is cliche and the last thing you want to hear, but truly, you sound like you are a sensitive and gentle soul with a lot to offer someone. The right person won’t leave you. 

Please try to surround yourself with people that can help lift you up during this terrible time and when you find your thoughts wondering, go for a walk. Watch a movie or listen to a podcast, these are all things that helped me deal with the uprupt loss. We are here for you James and well done for posting on this forum, really brave and admirable of you! I am so proud you aren’t keeping this inside. 

rebekah