FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My man is depressed and has stopped communication

missmyman
Community Member
I've been seeing the most incredible man. We have plans for him to move in with my kids & I. He had depression in the past and is on medication. He got 2 serious illnesses within 3 weeks and I suspect the heavy medication to help him stopped the antidepressants being helpful with his depression. His messages and contact started to lesson. He became silent and unresponsive for 2 weeks. He had asked me to please not stress that we are ok & he loves me. I continued to gently message him every few days, letting him know I'm here, I love him, I'm going nowhere. He's been cheated on by previous partners. After 2 weeks he sent me a message saying he missed me too, he was seeking professional help, my messages had helped him and he was sorry, that he hoped to see me the next weekend. I haven't heard from him since, it's been 2 & 1/2 weeks. I don't think he will self harm, I just think he's dealing with this the best he can (by himself and seeking professional treatment - which I'm grateful he does). My question is, I don't want to harass him, but, I don't want him to feel abandoned either. I love & miss him so much and there's been no indication he wants to break up, just I guess he needs to do this alone. I've been reaching out between every 2-4 days, I mainly text, but, did call & leave a voicemail & also sent him a song. Those who shut down and throw themselves into work, how long do you think he's likely to take to start responding to me again? He lives alone & his family and friends are interstate, we are over an hour apart from each other & I don't want to just turn up on his doorstep & freak him out. I have mild anxiety and the drop in communication is hard for me as I just want to be there for him & help. If you are someone who pushes away those you love, do you appreciate messages of love & support, should I expect he will eventually find his way back to me?
11 Replies 11

Thanks for your reply Tim. I have been every so often inviting him to either come over, or me to come to him, letting him know when I have a free evening, he has been unable to respond. I am aware of self care, I'm a busy girl, I work and I have a great network of friends & often have dinner with them or catch up & as a single working Mum I run my kids around too, so I stay busy & occupied, he isn't my entire life, but, he is very much wanted & missed & loved

Thank you very much, your response has been very helpful & reassuring. I had considered letting him know what the kids & I were up to, I have been sending him messages reminding him he's loved, wanted & I'm here for him when he's ready to return. I think I will start keeping him up to date on our goings on, just so he doesn't feel guilt about not being around & assume I'm doing nothing but pine for him making it more overwhelming & worse. I don't want to overload him with messages or information, but, I'm hoping some of what I send registers to him, that he in fact has a woman now who is loyal & won't give up or mistreat him like others have in the past.