FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Later age parents

Karen0901
Community Member

Hi. My adult life has been a long battle with infertility. Started treatments at 26 now 37. I had a child at 32 via IVF. We have been trying for a sibling. We would like another and we would like our child to have a sibling. 

However, I'm getting increasingly concerned about our age now. Not for IVF sucess (this has always been a problem and we genetically test) but to have the energy to parent. I'm also worried about the stigma. 

Are there any parents who might have an idea if we should be worried about having a teen in our 50's? 

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Karen0901,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums…

Firstly I would like to just say, “That age is no barrier to being great parents”….as for the stigma attached to being older parents is concerned…no one has the right to judge another persons life….My eldest son and daughter in law are in there late 40s and have twin 9 year olds, by the time the twins are teenagers they will be in there mid 50s, they have no issues about being fit enough to parent them through their teenage years….parenting is mostly about giving your child your unconditional love, guidance, support and time…

I wish you the very best with your IVF, and hope that your dreams of having a sibling for your child comes true as well as having another beautiful little baby to love and cherish works out for you all…

My kindest thoughts Sweet Karen, with my caring wishes for you..

Grandy..

Karen0901
Community Member

Thanks Grandy