FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is there hope for us?

Depresso
Community Member

Hi all,

I've been dating a man for over a year now and have always been honest with him about my mental illness. Recently we had been discussing buying a house together and starting a family.

I recently spent 6 weeks in hospital having ECT which is the most effective treatment for me. During that time, his parents came from interstate to help support him emotionally and also to help look after my dog (which he loves). I have no recollection of how they were during my stay due to the memory loss but they did visit several times apparently.

My dr decided to release me early from hospital to spend a week with them and my dog. I appreciate that they have little understanding of mental illness etc and how hard it is to adjust to life out of hospital. And all the memory loss. (I had 20 ECT sessions). I did tell his parents that I appreciate mental health can be so unknown and they were welcome to ask me anything to help understand. There aren't enough characters here for me to explain everything that happened, but his mother was very nasty and aggressive to me, with the last straw "you said I could ask you anything, are you bipolar? No? Well you're certainly a mad bit*h and you HAVE just spent 6 weeks in a mental institution". I am still in shock by the naivety and cruelty of it.

I immediately called a taxi and grabbed my dog and went home. All the time she was still abusing me. My partner was at work when this happened and he was upset at me for having left. (I appreciate it's hard for him being stuck in the middle).

There has been very little to no communication between us since (a few days) but given how domineering his mother is (and he's an only child), if we work things out, is it even worth it? How can I get over that comment?

I'm so tired of always being at a disadvantage in relationships because of mental health, and I am 36 and do want to have a family.

10 Replies 10

Depresso
Community Member

Well the good news Criox is I am allowed to stay at home for now given I will not be alone, with some very strict rules with a zero-tolerance policy for admission.

Yes, it was surprising and disappointing given the hospital environment. I guess like anything, some places are better than others. I know that some fellow patients in Melbourne certainly were more therapeutic than the nurses and black humor was honed!

Yes, very glad to be around my dog which will be beneficial too, though I can do without the storms as she gets so frightened!