FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I’m wondering if i have been involved in “parental alienation”.

Madee
Community Member
  1. How do you know?
  2. what are the signs?
  3. can I talk to someone?
  4. I am not sure what to do.
  5. i am better talking, since my ex husband hit me I’ve suffered from seizures and There are other things he did, I protected the kids and I feel as though I failed.
  6. what advice can you give me?
3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Madee, for your ex husband to hit you is not only terrible, but to suffer from seizures is even worse, as I know what this entails and it's certainly not a pleasant experience, especially when you have kids.

You can contact 'white ribbon' and if you copy and paste this in your search bar 'respect contact number' , then sites will appear for you to ring, plus the BB number 1300 224 636.

Can you place an AVO on your ex and secondly your doctor should be able to control these seizures, like mine have.

Please get back to us.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Sophie_M
Hi Madee

Thank you for joining us on the Forums and for sharing your experience with us. We can see that you are dealing with a lot right now. We can only imagine the strength it took to share and seek support. We can also hear the love for your children in doing what you can to keep them safe. 

As Geoff has said, it is never ok for a partner to hurt you or make you feel unsafe. We agree that calling 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732) is a great step - they are experts in supporting people who are experiencing similiar circumstances. 

You can also speak with our friends at Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800. They can help you understand your options in supporting your children. 

If you ever feel unsafe, this may be an emergency and you can call 000 anytime if you need it. 

Thanks again for joining us here and for being open about your journey - we welcome you to joing other conversations on the forums  or keep us updated on how you are feeling here. 

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Madee and welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry for everything you've suffered. I hope you now have an AVO against your ex. 

I also hope medical professionals can monitor your symptoms and provide the correct meds for your seizures to abate. 

Parental Alienation can be clearly seen in some cases and in others it's more "coercive" and more difficult to pull apart and see clearly. 

I've been through Family Law myself and have supported many women escaping DV relationships through Courts. 
It's hard! 

You need as many forms of support as you can link yourself in to. 

For you I suggest you do the following in order: 
* call 1800RESPECT, the wonderful Counsellors and Psychologists there support any person facing the many forms of abuse. You can phone them over years. If you leave your name, they will take notes and be able to better support you over time (I did this). 
* they may suggest a personal Counsellor, please get one if you can. 

* if you don't have a Family Lawyer, please contact Legal Aid and book an appointment. 
* if you have Facebook, you can find The Red Heart Foundation and apply to join their group. This is a Closed Group and was of incredible support to me. 

There are so many more things you can do to support yourself and the children. 
We may need to know more about your situation to provide more specific responses. 

Take care, thinking of you! 
Love EM