FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do I support my adult children

SmashingPumpkings69
Community Member

What can I do when my son of 27 years old that has recently been diagnosed with ADHD does not answer my text and phone calls . He left home (not my home but my ex-wifes home ) about 1 and halve years ago. He recently asked me if he could move into my home when he lease runs out .  I said he could and invited him to come around for barbecue . He cancelled on me three times and this time said he did not feel like coming around becuase of his sleep patterns in a text (that is all he said) . He has not been in contact with my ex wife for two weeks as well . I worry about him as he quit his job about 2 months ago. 

1 Reply 1

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am sorry you are experiencing this, this must be worrying for you as a parent. Good on you for reaching out, that signals to me that you really care for your son.

it is hard to have a conversation with him in-person if he continues to cancel your plans to catch up, but even a simple phone call to ask if he is okay could be enough. or even a text. we should not be so afraid to send a text just asking if someone is okay, i am sure he would appreciate the gesture even if he does not respond. 

it is worrying that he has not contacted his mother either, does he have any siblings or other family he could be in contact with? or friends? 

if you are concerned he is a missing person, maybe contact the authorities to file a report! that is serious. could you go around to his house to check up on him and make sure he is there?

i hope things work out soon, this must be concerning for you.

jaz xx