FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Help

Missy580
Community Member

Hi guys,

I need some advice.
My ex and I were together for a year and a half and broke up 5 months ago. The connection we had together started to fade and I found that the person he was at the beginning of the relationship also started to fade. When the relationship came to a end we both accepted that the timing wasn’t right for us. In the last 5 months he has frequently contacted me with the “ I miss you” and “ can we talk”. Out of the numerous times, I have each time given him the chance to talk to me and meet up with him. Recently he asked to meet and we both decided to take things slow and see how it goes before getting back together. Then the next day he suddenly changed his mind saying his “confused”. I have been dealing with him coming in and out of my life and getting my hopes up each time. I know this isn’t good for me but why can’t I let go? how can his mind change so suddenly overnight?

27 Replies 27

He messages me through Instagram “ happy new year wish you all the best I’m so sorry I wish things weren’t this way..”. Stupid me messages back. We meet up. He acts like everything is fine between us. He kisses me. We are acting as though nothing has changed between us. He says he should go.. I say so what happens now? He responds “ I didn’t come here to get back to with you.., I’m still confused and I’m not ready for a relationship”. I crack it. Why come and see me and make out we are a couple with affection and telling me how much he has misssd me? I then message him afterwards saying “ why do you keep breaking my heart?” He then responds “ I was honest with you, go and block me so you can get over me “

Hello

Sorry to have not replied earlier. I hope you're going ok. It's not nice what he's doing to you. I think at the very least we should be kind to people, and he's not being kind to you behaving that way.

That being said - the only one who can decide when it's time to get out of the loop, is you. Stay in the loop and risk a continuation of the same. Get out of the loop and block all contact, and eventually you'll feel better and move on. I honestly wish you the best either way, as I understand how hard it is. Kind thoughts, Katy

HannaMelb
Community Member

hey Missy... I can feel your pain... Been there myself before.... It can take a decent amount of time to let someone go... it's totally normal and understandable... so be kind to yourself.

When you are in the situation of contacting or meeting him, just tell yourself: "Do I really want to go through this again... as I surely know what is coming? "

Chances are, you will tell yourself you had enough and say NO to him.

Be strong...!

Hugs,

Hanna

Hey Hanna,

I was speaking to someone about it today and they asked is there a reason you can’t let him go and keep holding on?
I didn’t know what to say.
I’m unhappy with him and without him...

His new thing now is to start hanging out together and “seeing eachother” but can’t confirm if it will lead to anything further. Is he just trying to use me?

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Missy580, I didn’t come here to get back to with you, is exactly what he means, don't let him tease you, because if by any chance you were together, there will be much heartache to follow, when a person does this, the first thing you must do is show them the door and rub any contact with you, stop punishing yourself, he won't change.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Thealth
Community Member
Hi Missy. Happy new year. All I can say is save yourself from further heartache. It must be hard but let it go. You'll thank yourself one day.

Hi Missy... We create an habit in our heads of thinking about a relationship that is not going the way we'd like. It becomes an obsession - "why, how, when, what could I have done better", etc etc.... It's like a movie in our head that plays itself over and over again... because we want answers that simply are not there.

But it is an unhealthy habit we need to break. And that takes mental discipline - get away from everything related to him. When you find yourself thinking about him distract yourself with something else - get busy with things that give you pleasure - you may not find anything right now but I'm sure there are things you have done in the past that made you feel good, even if it's something simple like having your favorite food or drink. Forgive yourself for feeling like you can't get away - it's a process that can take some time as you are re-training your brain into breaking the habit of revisiting the relationship over and over again.

For me, what has worked best is making the question of "Do I really want to go through another episode again... as I know how is it going to end??" every time I found myself facing the same situation. You will get to a point where you will say NO sooner or later.

I know right now you're feeling like there's nothing else after "this".. but believe me, there is. There is YOU as a person; yourself as your first priority. And this is the way it should be - much on the contrary to the way we have been raised in this society! As kids we were taught to be "good kids" and put others before ourselves - hence the low self esteem, always trying to please others and the habit of putting our own value in somebody else's hands (parents, partners, friends). We need to learn to put ourselves FIRST, love ourselves before loving others because if we don't love ourselves, how can others love us...? And it's got nothing to do with being selfish, as they have made us believe when growing up!

Hope this helps you find peace...

Hanna 🙂