FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling abandoned

Guest_93580817
Community Member

Hi,

I’ve never posted here before but I’m feeling really alone and I don’t have anyone to reach out to. 
I have suffered with depression and anxiety for my whole adult life but the last 12 months have been particularly bad with thoughts of suicide. My best friend has been very supportive but yesterday told me that it’s all too much for her. She wants to put some boundaries to protect her own mental health and her family. The logical side of me understands it but it’s triggered my abandonment issues. I’m devastated, I think she will actually walk away from our friendship. It hurts because she’s such a big part of my life and has always been the one I leant on and vice versa. I feel like I’ve done something wrong and disappointed her. I’m embarrassed and ashamed and I don’t know how to move forward.

Has anyone had similar experiences with friends or family

Thanks so much

1 Reply 1

Scared
Community Member

Yes this has happened to me too.

I felt very hurt and angry also.

It also made me re evalulate my friendship with this person as I felt I had been there for this person too.  Altho we still friends I dont confide in them anymore.  Im not saying you do same but i am saying i think many people go thru this same thing as you.   I think its fair that people  can have  boundaries but it hurts when they say it to us.  I understand completely .