FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

faceing home

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
The story so far I met my missus in80s lost contact then found her again by chance. I was living alone the rest of my family all over the state rarely talking to me r talking to or with me I was always left out last to find out any news only may be seeing them at Christmas had 2 great kids both disabled my health started failing in 2000 to the point where I am in a old age home surrounded by people with dementia there is talk of sending me back home I cannot walk far arthritis both knees no wheel chair my kids to young to care for me family who don’t care a banana I wish to go home but now to scared to because I will be alone I hate being alone loneliness is everything it’s cracked up to be there isn’t much worse i cannot move into a boarding house because either the owner/ manager or residents rip you off plus there full of junkies and drunks I am scared of loneliness I have been there before about 15 years in a flat by myself I am not a loner it’s the nights no one to talk to argue make up with.
This Rant was brought to you by Kanga
14 Replies 14

Hi Kanga,

I worked as an OT. One of my roles was to take client's home from hospital to see how they managed. Often like you they were worried embarrassed about the state of the house. (one person had been in hospital for 9 mths with no family or friends to clear up for her so the place was dirty & messy but I expected that. I know the person was injured & unable to tidy up first. My colleagues also had the same non-judgemental attitude. The other issue you mentioned was fear of not coping at home. My role was to look at the problems & barriers to the person managing at home & then work out what could be put in place to help them. This home visit is not like an exam with a pass or fail it is a chance for the two of you to work together to come up with solutions to any problems. This may be in the form of equipment to enable you to be as safe & independent as possible or perhaps recommending services to help while you are learning to manage. Those home visits were an enjoyable part of my job as I often left knowing the person was happy & more confident with the plans we made. One highlight was meeting with a previous client who had lived at home successfully for several years after my visit before having further health issues & hospital treatment. On the subsequent home visit he proudly showed me the equipment & home modifications I'd ordered demonstrating how he had followed my advice & used the equipment to cope successfully with his problems.
I hope the person who goes home with you is really nice & competent & is able to provide you with advice, or recommendations for any equipment , services or minor changes to your home to enable you to live at home successfully.Good luck.

I am not worried about the state of the house its the physical pain of walking. climbing stairs into the house having to show what I can do currently where I will need help thats what scares me

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Kanga,

hopefully the person will be understanding and will have in their mind that the point is to get you back into your home and finding solutions to enable that to happen.

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
What could happen is after all this I could get the heave ho out the door and into a different area all together. Like Mildura, Woodonga, or please not Orbost not Orbost I would prefer the moon to Orbost. There is nothing in Orbost. I know where I would like to be well the area and it's own little coffee shop. If I had my way I know where I will set up my first little gathering in a public place in Melbourne. I will be the ninja None shall see me enter none shall see me go I will be hiding on there eyelashes. I have done it before can do it again Easy if you know the metered.

The person taking you home should understand your limitations & make allowances. Just make sure you let them know how you are going & be clear about any difficulties you are having. Good luck.