FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Exhaustion

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello all,

Feeling pretty miserable right now and don't know where to turn but...just looking for a bit of moral support. A pick me up, if you will.

Been in a relationship with a lovely person for about 5 months. We've had our fair share of ups and downs. I won't go into detail because it's kind of irrelevant.

Just ended tonight. Not exactly mutual, but it was something I had been thinking about as well and we both knew it was going to be a make-or-break.

I'm just pretty exhausted because I tried really hard when I saw there was a lot of potential for a long term relationship. But in the end, she didn't feel like she could continue on because of my on-going battle with fear of abandonment, which basically leads me to do things which can feel like emotional manipulation. And even if it subsided, it would be a constant fear in the back of her mind, and she didn't think it would ever go away.

So we've parted ways amicably. I'm super sad about this. And pretty devastated that it came about because I haven't been able to control my BPD traits completely. I understand where she's coming from though. It just hurts.

😞

😞

James

24 Replies 24

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear James~

I'm not surprised Randomx thought you were older, you do think deeply and appear understanding and rather wise in many ways.

Going back to solo is horrible.

I've come to the conclusion that we cannot make up a sort of recipe for a partner that will work out. We simply don't know enough about ourselves or others.

I'll give a slightly different example: my wife had determined she would never marry anyone that smoked, as her husband had passed away with lung cancer from smoking, yet she married me, someone that did, and made no demands whatsoever about it. Later I gave up - another story.

I believe this applies all the way down the line and although we might not be able to even imagine what will work, there are so many lovely people in the world that finding a partner whose strengths compliment the things in ourselves we might regard as difficult-to-live-with is highly likely.

If I'm allowed to be forward I'd say there are many facets of you James that will compliment the weaknesses in another too. They may in fact thinking the same sort of thing about their possible shortcomings.

I'm sorry your bird flew away - also relieved that the cat in the picture had not invited your rabbit to lunch. Now I'd suppose that would have been an example of a very one-sided and short relationship.

Croix

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Croix,

Thank you for the story. I'm trying to focus on myself at the moment. Did a big clean up last night. That was fun. Need to do a bit more over the weekend and buy a new vacuum.

Yep. The rabbit is feisty. I reckon he'd give the cat one hell of a fight. In fact, he scared a neighbour's cat off once.

THanks

James

Hi James,

I am a walking disaster story when it comes to relationships so I'm the absolute last person who you should be taking advice from...

I just wanted to pop in to say good on you for focusing on yourself. Sometimes it's good to look inwards and nurture ourselves. Gentle does it...

Take care of you and kind thoughts,

Pepper xoxo

Thanks Pepper. I love your picture btw. I need to get back into music.

Any time 🙂

Thanks, I'm glad you like my silver treble clef (with slight creative license...notice the heart).

And I'm happy to hear that you want to get back into music. It can be so healing...

Kind thoughts,

Pepper xoxo