FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Do You Get Scared Starting a New Relationship.

Beaser
Community Member

Hi

I was wondering is it common to feel nervous and scared when getting into a new relationship. It just terrifies me thinking about how i have been in the past with relationship breakups.I am twelve months into a new relationship that has had some ups and downs . I have been open as much as i feel comfortable to talk about ,with my partner regarding my depression and anxiety.It is very scary for me.I guess when you meet someone its easy to gloss over your past single life and look at it with rose coloured glasses and forget about the downsides of being alone. Is it even selfish to bring a person into my life with my depression and anxiety.

I hope every one is well .

Beaser.

11 Replies 11

Beaser
Community Member

Hi sbella02

Thanks for your reply .

I suppose its a natural feeling for everyone when they meet someone. I just think i have thoughts that being alone and not letting anyone is like a safe mode. Then when i am alone i crave company and want to be with someone. Its a strange time at the moment with all the lockdowns and i think its added to my anxiety and even confusion about how i feel. Thanks again. Hope to hear from you.

Beaser.

when they meet someone

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Beaser,

Like you, I am terrified of new relationships. So terrified of them that I have been known to stay in existing relationships that are clearly bad for me for years too long because I don’t want to go through that again. I have recently learnt that I have a fearful-avoidant attachment style and it suddenly makes so much sense. Basically people with this attachment style had an inconsistent and sometimes scary parent or caregiver. And so the child would go to them for comfort and would sometimes receive it and other times be met with a rage and become fearful. And so as an adult this creates an intense desire for intimacy but also an intense fear of it, this internal push-pull. We have come to expect that those who love us will also hurt us, and so to try and avoid this we avoid intimacy. But our desire for it keeps us coming back. Sometimes it is so unpleasant that I end a relationship simply to stop that feeling, and feel momentary relief but then the crushing feeling that it has beaten me again. But if someone makes it through my walls then I am incredibly devoted and loving.