FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depressed husband

Fighter4life
Community Member

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been together for 11 years and have 2 children (4 and 6 months).

He was recently made redundant and quickly found a job close to home. We were so grateful for the blessing. However, things quickly turned south.

One day he brought up the idea of separation. This has been mentioned in the past after serious fights. Our fights normally lasts 3 days tops. This time it's been 3 weeks. He lists the following reasons for separation:

1. I put everything above him first. He is my last priorty.

2. I always push him away when he tries to get close. I'm unaffectionate.

3. I'm unmotivated to finish the last unit of my course.

4. We are 2 different people, going on different paths.

After this discussion, 2 weeks later he said he did a test on depression and got a score of 15. 10 suggests that professional help is required.

He went out one night and confided in a friend. After a few drinks after he got back, he apologised, asking for forgiveness in the way he has treated me, said he loves and misses me and we made love. The next morning he says he's still feeling down, and that he is confused about us.

I really want to help him and finding it hard to be strong. Are there any tips on how I can help my husband through this tough time? I am trying really hard to not let his words get to me. My husband was once the bubbly person who was always the life of the party. Please help!

11 Replies 11

Hello Fighter4life, from what I've read it's been pretty tough for the two of you, but you have 2 children who are still very young, and it's common for the dad to feel left out in the marriage once kids are born so the marriage may struggle.

I'm sorry but he won't be able to figure out this on his own, it will only go around in circles making it much more complicated, so it would be a good idea to try and convince him to see a doctor.

Ask him to take the test at a different time than the last one and then maybe again but on a different day and time, because if he has a score of 15 and this high score continues, then something will happen to convince him he needs to see his doctor.

Kind regards.

Geoff.

Thank you Geoff. That is a great idea. I will definitely suggest it to him.