FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Both people in relationship with mental illness

OldFashioned
Community Member

Hello,

Some background, my SO and I have been together for almost 2 years but we were friends long before this. I have (high functioning) autism and depression, she has generalised anxiety disorder, but we both knew about and accepted it before we got together. For many reasons we don't live together but we will move in and get married eventually. For both of us it is our first serious relationship.

I have a stressful and unstimulating 9-5 office job which I am trying to quit, and my SO works in hospitality, normally the 6-12 shift. As well as this her passion is running. She spends hours and hours training, and often volunteers as a running/fitness coach for friends, family, members of her running group's kids....etc etc. Running is her passion but before any marathon or race of any kind, she goes into this anxiety where she doesn't talk to me about it. Sometimes it lasts for weeks leading up to it, but she never shares any of it with me, she just sort of disconnects from me and all I can do is watch her suffer in silence and wait for it to end.

A marathon is coming up and she's back at the silent anxiety again. My company has an awful management team and my work is getting more and more stressful, which has pushed my normally mild depression into overdrive. I'm struggling to hold on while I look for new work, but my girlfriend who's my rock is so distant right now. I grew up well into my 20s with a totally controlling and overbearing mother and my natural instinct is to push people away the moment I feel rejected/neglected. I love my girlfriend so much but I can't handle this at the moment. Has anyone else been through something similar?

Oldie

12 Replies 12

Head back to where the forum menu is, there's a blue icon saying "new thread."

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Leah jane

As OldFashioned said it is just a button. To see the full instructions and an illustration have a look at Sophie_M's post, it is the very first one in:

Forums / Welcome and orientation / The forum FAQ thread

We'll look out for you first post

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear OldFashoned~

I would think an athlete is going to be very bound up in training, the event, and for while after. I'm not at all sure this is a lack of love or need, in fact you may well be providing the stable base upon which your partner can operate at those times.

I am guilty of something very similar when engrossed in a project which leaves my partner a 'project widow' (if there is such a thing) for a while. Fortunately she is very tolerant of my ways.

Should you wish an illustrator's challenge why not see what you can portray when following Mr Albert Haddock's brushes with the Law in Misleading Cases in the Common Law by A.P.Herbert written in 1927. I heartily recommend the book for anyone connected with the law who has a sense of humor. It is in no way dated. I'm sure drawing such things as a negotiable cow could be quite demanding.

Croix