FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

BB Single Parents Group

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

One of the things I love about these forums is that as well as dealing with the heavy stuff there is space to chill out and connect with people in in a social forum. After reading threads from other single parents I noticed that many of us feel alone at times, unsupported, we feel we are not doing a good enough job or we are just plain old worn out or frustrated. I thought I would start this thread for all the single parents out there who just want a space to chill out, relax, maybe compare notes, ask for advice and to pretty much know you are not alone.

It's a tough gig, we are all doing the best we can.

CMF

91 Replies 91

Guest_161 hi sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, I am still getting over the loss of my partner in 2004. Things keep popping up to remind me of her. Or for me to talk on an issue that was close to her heart.

What I have found with children either gender is. The less they know the other person the better they behave. They all seam to do this. Around mum and dad because they will say no or take away toys etc the one thing that cannot be taken away is a bad attitude. It's pay back. Because grand parents give lollies, toys, ice cream etc they behave well to get more of the goddies. That's my theory

Kanga

Well hello,

Feeling a little frustrated tonight. One of my best friend's daughter's is having a 16th bday party thi wekend.My daughter is invited. They live 2 mins away from us. My son will not be home and i have little miss 5 who will be asleep by the time the party ends. I asked my friend if someone could bring my daughter home as i cannot get there to pick her up. She said they will be keeping tabs until the last person has left (for safety reasons) and that my daughter can sleep there if she likes. It was nice to offer for her to sleep there but seriously, there are 2 parents there and we live 2 mins away. Couldn't one of them pop out to bring her home? Am i being irrational? The party is at their home, I'm sure there is only a handful of people. People just don't get it. Am i over reacting? A couple of weeks ago we were invited there for her daughters 5th bday. It was a Thursday night, the day before my 15 yo started school and my little miss had her 3rd day of school. The cake was cut at 9pm, chocolate mud and ice cream cake. My little miss was the only child there, the rest was family, all adults. There were lots of lollies and sugar. Little miss was beside herself by 9pm, tired, full of sugar. I felt annoyed that there was so much sugar on a weeknight and feel it would have been better if they just had family and didn't invite us. It was too late o a weeknight and the week of school starting.

Again, am i being irrational.? I am just so tired.

sister_moon
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this thread is still going but as a full time single mum I was happy to see that it existed. Can be so lonely at times.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi sister moon and welcome,

Yep, it is still going, glad you found it. Tell us about yourself...if you want to of course.

Great to have you as part of the BB family

cmf x

sister_moon
Community Member

Hi CMF,

Thanks for the welcome. For some reason this morning I could not see the recent posts just older ones. Just read your post from the other day. Yeah that would frustrate me too. Must be hard not being able to leave the house to pick up your kid and your friend not understanding. Also just sometimes find things that highlight the fact that I am just one person a bit like salt in wounds. I am not sure about you but as a single parent I try so hard all the time to do as good a job as 2 parents.... But well there are some things that we just can't ever do- Like being 2 places at once. And frankly that sucks!

I hear you with the late night and sugar thing to.

I hope the party worked out okay.

Good luck. Sounds like you're doing a fantastic job.

And tired is super super hard.

Take care

Sistermoon

Hi Guest_61

i just found this group. My husband left me 3 days ago and I’m hurting like crazy. I have two kids 8 and 5 and yes they act better around other people. It’s always me getting all their emotions and bad behaviour (wouldn’t say too bad as it’s normal for them to be acting out)

i just wish sometimes they will just get along and listen to me as of this morning they were fighting and not getting ready for school and I couldn’t help but cry as I was just sad hurt and every other emotion as I have to deal with him leaving me and deal with the kids having a hard time that he moved out.

They don’t understand (I don’t understand) he says he doesn’t love me but can’t tell us why and why he can’t live with us anymore

all day today I have been trying to sort out Centrelink and nothing has gone right.

I am so sad and want to skip all this bit till I’m happy and the kids are.

MsBakingCookies
Community Member

Hi,

Im new... I’ve been feeling very overwhelmed and pretty much crappy about myself. I feel like I’m not doing enough for my boys and that they’re constantly misbehaving around me and they never listen to me. I try really really hard to stay calm... but they keep going... until I start yelling. Some days (rare days) I feel like “yep I’ve got this”. Most days I’m forcing myself to get out of bed, forcing myself to go to work (full time) and pretend to be all chirpy and bubbly, forcing myself to clean the house, look after the boys, cook, take them to their never ending extra curricular activities and do everything else. When the boys are finally asleep and I look in the mirror, I just hate myself. I just think you’re so dumb. You’re in this position... because of you. Because you’re pathetic and worthless. It’s better then being with their dad. It was a million times worse...
It’s crazy right? Am I being a drama queen... tell me I’m not the only one...

What you described about your two kids sounds just like my two! They’re the same age too. They love each other but bicker about everything. Especially before school. My eldest is constantly lashing out at me and my youngest is starting to go through the I’m not listening to you phase. I often feel like I’m at my wits end as well!

Lisa_A
Community Member

Hi CMF,

I totally understand how you feel.

I have 2 girls , eldest 23,youngest one 15. I have been through all that stuff with ex as well He moved on to new wife had a child with her..Only has time with them. My daughters both suffered with no care from their father.100% care from me. They were lucky to maybe get a text or invite for day out and when my eldest was in primary school maybe a weekend here and there.

Just so neglectful and absent father. When my daughter had trouble in high school I asked him for help, he just made excuses and honestly couldn't care less.

I feel for you ,ex s just dumped you with all the care and upbringing of THEIR children as well. Totally neglectful a holes.

Contact Child support, I did find them helpful to help with shared care and to discuss father's responsibilities.

What also gets to me is they do nothing for their children then complain of the amount of child support they pay!! No one human should have a price on their head!!It's their child!!

Holi
Community Member
Hi new single mum of twin 18 yr Olds,nice to see a place to for single parents, like someone's comments here life does get lonely sometimes.one of my son's has level 2 autism spectrum disorder and severe OCD.