FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

4 seasons in one hour: long-term relationship breakup

sue_denim
Community Member

My partner of 27 years suddenly announced 2 weeks ago that he's leaving our relationship: demanding shared care of our kids- a young adult son with significant disabilities; and an adult daughter on the autism spectrum, who lives at uni, but needs assistance with self-organisation and mental health. I'm still struggling to comprehend why now; without warning. He thought I would be relieved: I still want 'us'! I'm 7 years younger, he's in his mid-50s, and wants the last section of his life to be how he wants. I knew we were in a slump, but things were going to be more manageable once my course ends.

I have 5 weeks left of a teaching degree, finishing my final prac. I'm struggling, with poor supervisory support & feral students: triggering my anxiety. I've studied since 2011, due to parenting and work and must finish to support myself. I've had depression/ anxiety through adulthood, managing with GP intervention/ medication and occasional counselling; my dad died this year from cancer, my mum is in a home. We were going to sell our house and move to the bush: I'd work and he'd reduce his hours; our son would attend a day-program. He strung me along: telling his family and our daughter a month ago. His family egg him on: the matriarch did the same thing to his dad.

He's moved out and we're now in a cycle of 4 nights each with our son. He only opens up in relationship counselling: he can't see my view that this is selfish, narcissistic and destructive. I'm accused of stifling his need to be in a band, meet with friends, family etc. His unorthodox work hours have restricted any couple time, or to have a life away from the grind: yet he's always completed computer games, copious novels and has guitar lessons, while I've worked, studied or looked after the house. He's frowns on respite to lighten the caring load.

Despite this, I want us together. I admit I can be moody under stress, but that was going to end. I want 'us' back, but this puts him off even more. His plans restrict my ability to return to my home-city, with my siblings, mum and support network (once prac is done); I've found a solicitor - apparently I'm rushing in, that there's time for arrangements later, he doesn't want lawyers involved. I'm afraid of going in hard, but I have rights, as does our son. I'm managing negative self-talk by exercising, meditation, private counselling and my GP. I need guidance to control my roller-coaster feelings, to work out what needs to be done and what is going on.

15 Replies 15

sue_denim
Community Member
I'm seeing a counsellor at uni until I can see a psych on the 10 visit GP mental health plan. Her after school hours fill up quickly.

You got steel happening Denim. (nodding head)

Glad you're going back home

I think we need to think about stuff that pulls us down like you're doing to be able to come to terms with & move forward. To put it to bed

Keep that steel (Y)

Spikeo enjoyed reading what you've said and how you did. You sound like a good person

Unfortunately for me, that steely determination has also been the undoing of the relationship: my determination to try to do something for myself and my family has his nose out of joint, because he thought it was too one-sided. Still conflicted between sadness, bitterness and looking forward to a new future.

yeah and you need to go through emotions aye, if you hold them in and block too much they compound turn into stress and pull you down more.

I'm learning to ignore the just straight out downers for the hell of it, starting to blast some demons. OH YEAH BABIES happies bout that.

Awesome you've got excitement for new future, very happy for you. Comforting by the sounds. Good on you

Spikeo
Community Member

Thats great your getting the help you need.

I also dont get alot (should say none) when im determined to do something. I did some courses a few years ago and all theory/assignments were done at home. I ended up having to get days off work just to do my assignments! Wasnt allowed to do them when wife was home even though it was to make our future better!

And Demonblaster, i try to be good! Im finding i can relate to almost everyone's situation on here, i didnt realise actually how much ive been through until i read peoples stories and say "yeah been through that"

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hey Sue & all 🙂

Sux aye Spikes, that's the best we can do is try. Can see it shining through you, so often it's the good people that do it so hard aye, would be easy to not care about people and become hard but NAH, we take the hard road and stay good aye. We're the true survivors, not the rot people that mostly cause our pain.

We CAN make it. Belief and determination I'm learning are the starts

Tc