FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Trauma after cardiac arrest

Guest_13849797
Community Member

I recently suffered a cardiac arrest and am struggling with the emotions surrounding this, as well as my kids also being very anxious about it.

I constantly think about the what ifs and my daughter who is 16 is often breaking down into tears and cant really put into words why.

Anyone have any advice?

1 Reply 1

Whatsinaname
Community Member

Hi Guest,

Welcome to the forums.

My father had his first heart attack when I was about 17. He went on to have another one when I was about 18. 

I remember both of them like it was yesterday. It shook me to my core to realise my parents aren't invincible. I am now late 30s and lucky enough both parents are still around and relatively healthy.

I have had anxiety for more than likely my whole life so can tell you from lived experience your daughter would have been scared too. No one wants to lose a parent and especially when they are young. 

I obviously don't know your circumstances, but my dad was a heavy smoker and lived a quite unhealthy life style. He did everything he could to turn that around and that's what I needed to see to know that he was doing everything he could to stick around for as long as he could.

I remember crying and saying to my dad that I was scared and him simply saying "I'm not going anywhere" and that was all I needed to hear in that moment.

So, from my ramblings all I can say is just be open to taking to your family about and reassure them you will do what's needed to be on top of it.

i wish you the best of luck and I can tell you from watching my dad that what they can do is nothing short of incredible for heart disease now.