FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PTSD from emergency services career

Darrend
Community Member

Hi, I have been registered here for two years and I have finally decided to join in. I have lived experience with PTSD. This came about from a career in the emergency services. A few months ago I was feeling miserable and couldn't imagine things improving. I have come a long way since then and I am feeling a lot better and more positive than I have felt for ages. I'd love to hear from others that may have been through similar experiences, or anyone else that is struggling.

Darren.

5 Replies 5

Guest_5218
Community Member

Hello Darren, and welcome. I would firstly like to take the opportunity of saying thankyou for your dedicated and vital work in emergency services over the years. The number of people you would have helped over the years would be too numerous to count I expect. You people (I think I read elsewhere that you are a paramedic?) do such a fantastic job. It is inevitable however that your line of work will take a toll on your own health. That must be very hard.

I think I also read that you appear to now be making a change in your career to something in the mental health line? I hope I have got that right. Anyway good for you, and I hope that the career change works out well for you.

I also suffer from PTSD, and have done for the past 20 years. Although I have only sought assistance for it over the past 15 months or so. Last year I went through a block of Prolonged Exposure Therapy and CBT, which helped a little. This year I am in the process of doing EMDR therapy, still ongoing. Can I ask you whether you have undergone any therapy, and if so, what type? Have you found it to be helpful?

Anyway I am really glad that you have made such good progress in the past few months, to now feel the best you have done in some time. That sounds very positive for you, as well as to any others suffering from ptsd.

I thank you for contributing to the Forums by telling your story and offering inspiration to others in doing so.

I hope I get to see you around the forums in weeks to come.

Sherie xx

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Darren and well done for taking the plunge. Many people are suffering from PTSD (I once was one of those ) so your contribution to the forums will be much appreciated.

Your line of work has exposed you to much pain and distress. Taking some of it on board is inevitable. The community at large owes you a big thank you for this dedication to the well-being of others, often offered at the price of your own.

It is good to know that your difficulties have eased. I know all too well it can take hard work to get back on track. Hats off to you !

Looking forward to reading more from you.

Hi Sherie, thanks for the warm welcome. I have been receiving treatment for PTSD for about the past 15 months. I have tried CBT, EMDR, multiple types of anti-depressants, mindfulness, breathing exercises, physical exercise etc. I think a combination of these things contributed to a gradual improvement in my symptoms. It wasn't until about 3 months ago that I noticed a huge improvement in symptoms, mood, self-esteem/ confidence and motivation, pretty much within a few days. The fear and dread started to ease off.

I can't be sure exactly caused this huge shift, but a few things were going on at the same time. I found the right medication(SSRI), enrolled in a cert IV in mental health, decided to change careers, found a passion (mental health recovery) and finding a mentally healthy workplace (where the staff value and encourage me). There are probably a few other factors that also helped. I have by no means recovered, but I am much better and am excited about the future. I would now like to share my story and inspire others who are struggling with their mental health.

thanks again for your kind words,

Darren.

Darrend
Community Member

Thanks for your understanding and encouragement Starwolf. Your warm welcome to the forum is much appreciated. I hope I can contribute to making a difference to others that may be struggling.

Darren.

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Darrend, welcome to the forums. I can see you've already found our thread for first responders.

Also, you may want to join our Blue Voices group. Beyond Blue is about to do some research into the experiences of first responders, and it could be something you'd like to take part in.