FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Opening up

Brizzie
Community Member
I am struggling to talk to my gp partner and phycologist about my past . I feel like I. Getting no we're
2 Replies 2

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Brizzie,

Hi. Welcome to beyond blue. I hope that you will find this a safe place where you can talk "things" whatever they might be.

I think we can all feel like that sometimes. I have. But it is probably safe to say that my experiences or issues are not as bad as yours as well, because I don't have PTSD. Someone else on beyond blue might be able to respond to you in this area.

I can also understand not wanting to tell your partner. I imagine you don't want to scare them. Totally relatable.

On your GP and psych... How about starting with your post above? Give them that information on a sheet of paper. Also remember that your sessions with a psych. are confidential. Whatever you tell them stays in the room where you talk to them.

That you are posting here with this statement shows, I think, that you want to be able to tell them? And trying to work out how to? Building up the courage to do this. I have faith in you that you will be able to find a way to do this.

In my first sessions with my psych there were some things I was not ready yet to talk about. In fact I did not answer the questions. But what I did tell my psych was that if I cannot or don't answer a question then you already know the answer.

I am currently rereading the road less traveled a book about relationships and growth etc. The author is a doctor. The author includes stories about aspects of the patients he helps. Healing takes time, sometimes years. Be patient with yourself, let them know that you are struggling to talk about aspects of your life. Together, you will find a way to break through the barriers.

Best wishes to you.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Brizzie,

Welcome to the community here.

Do you feel like you are not being understood, that your issues are not being acknowledged or validated or do you feel like you are having trouble expressing your self or find it hard to get your words out?

Would it help if you wrote down how you are feeling and show that to your GP and psychologist?

I have a note book that I write a lot of stuff in and highlight the parts I want to share with the psychologist when I see them next.

Regarding your partner, they may just not want to know what happened or want to listen to what you need to say. I'm not saying this is the case, some people just don't know how to process that kind of information.

Maybe sharing how you are feeling here, if you feel comfortable doing so, might help you to communicate more with the people you have mentioned in your post.

Hope this has helped in some way! Cheers from Dools