FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Sibling abusing entire family

badooli
Community Member

Hi, this is my first post.

My brother physically, emotionally, and verbally abused my mum and dad. Often I was told to wait in another room while my parents tried to calm him down. This went on for 7 years. My brother has several mental health issues. He has finally moved out of home but he argues constantly w my parents and threatens to kill himself if his demands aren’t met. This has left my parents stressed and exhausted. But now mum, dad and I all have PTSD.

i just wanted to know if there’s anyone out there who’s experienced the same thing? All the research is geared towards sibling to sibling.

also does this come under the ‘domestic violence’ aspect of ptsd?

1 Reply 1

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Badooli

Sounds like you and your parents are having a rough time. So pleased you've found the Beyond Blue forums. A warm welcome to you. People who post here are friendly, supportive, caring and respect your privacy.

You ask some very good questions, and while I haven't experienced the same as you or your parents, I have PTSD for a few reasons and have been seeing my GP and a psychologist regularly for past few years. I've also been on medication to assist with my depression that comes from the triggers I experience.

I'm unsure which research you are referring to, I had a quick look and found a link to research conducted by Central Queensland University.

PTSD is caused by a range of different traumas. One can be domestic violence. But, as I'm not a clinician of any kind, I'd rather not give you definite answers.

Have you or your family seen your GP about your PTSD? I'm assuming you may have because you've classified it as such. Perhaps your query about whether your domestic violence fits under PTSD would be better discussed with your GP.

Did you GP organise for counselling for you all on a Mental Health Plan (MHP)? This basically mean you can get 10 visits to a counsellor/psychologist/psychiatrist in 12 months bulk billed.

I can see how it would be a troubling time for you and your parents. Especially when he threatens to kill himself. While there is a range of different material available on the BB website on various MH issues, I think in your case it might be best to talk with your doctor. Because in some ways it is not only your and your parents safety that needs considering, it is also your brother's safety. I think you need professional guidance on how this can best be managed.

At the same time, if there are other forum followers who have experienced similar situations, then it would be good if they could provide you with their experience.

Kind regards

PamelaR