FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Darling Dog Will Be Euthenized Soon

Guest_1573
Community Member

I have a dear dog whom I rescued from a horrible place in May 2020. She is now 9 years old. She is the light and love of my life. Two weeks ago she seemed to be unbalanced and a long story short I have taken her to the vet 4 times since then. She has had numerous tests and ultrasounds and the vet is not giving me any answers.

In the last two days she has been lying in the bathroom which she never does. She has been having tremors and crying in her sleep. Although the vet doesn't know what is wrong they have put her on strong painkillers. When she has these she doesn't show pain but sleeps.

She is not drinking water and is very out of sorts. I feel it is time to put her out of this misery. The vet wants to do an MRI at a cost of $5000.00. I have spent $1600 at the vet in the last 9 days.

I am besides myself as I feel she has had a stroke or has a brain tumour yet the vet keeps stringing me along. At the end of the day I truly believe she is showing all the signs of a poor animal at the end of her life.

I am so torn. I barely sleep, I put her on my bed at night and she is often panting, crying in her sleep or having tremors. I am so upset and anxious and I guess I just want someone to make that decision for me. Which I know is not going to happen.

I rang my local vet and told them what has been going on (they were not aware as I had to take dear doggy to emergency vet throughout all of this). They were very kind and said to me that if I truly feel it is time to take here there anytime and they will look after her....

I am so scared that if I do this it might be too early? Yet deep down I know something very wrong is going on with her....I am falling apart. I love her so much. She had a terrible life until I rescued her. I hate life. It is so terrible and unfair.

I have been crying almost constantly daily. Please someone help. Thankyou.

141 Replies 141

xx Yes it is beyond the pale. She is quite comfy and has been moving around happily and smooching around like she used to do! I know I shouldn't get too optimistic but it is such a relief. I know the day will come..but when?? Today she had a 20 minute walk; ate lots of breakfast; drank lots of water. Went to the toilet (!) fine. No evidence of diarrhoea; blood in urine or other.

Having people like you has helped so much. Whatever happens it is a great support knowing I have you . Thank so much xxx

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
That's great you managed to take her for a walk and she is eating.I think you are a really caring pet owner and I know how much she means to you.I am here if you need to talk.

Hello PM....(and a wave to Mark/Matchy)

Im a latecomer on your thread its good to see your 'woofer' is feeling better..I am a huge fan of dogs as you are

If I have missed it...Im sorry...what breed of dog do you have?

my kindest

Paul

Hello Panicmerchant, my heart breaks for you because when our puppy shows signs of not wanting to do anything it does really concern us because they too are my passion and couldn't live without having one.

I've had several I had to make a decision on and there wasn't anyone, except my wife who understood because having a puppy who slept on our bed, came with us everywhere was part of our family.

The last dog was one I had by myself for 18 years and this tore my heart out when her time had come, and know exactly how you are feeling.

Let's hope she continues to improve for your enjoyment.

My best wishes.

Geoff.

Dear Paul

She is a labrador cross staffy! Vet calls her a 'slabrador'! 🙂

Dogs are wonderful aren't they. I simply adore them!

xx

Dear Matchy

Thanx She had a good walk today! I am feeling she may be getting better! I hope and pray this is the case....I love her so

xx

Guest_1573
Community Member

Dear Geoff

So sorry you too know what it is like 😞

They are such beloved souls.

Thanx so much. She is slightly better again today..I am so hesitantly hopeful she may be getting over whatever it was??

xx

Hello Panicmerchant, we all hope so, just be careful of what may be thrown over the fence and take all the precautions necessary.

Geoff.

Guest_1573
Community Member

Hi Geoff

She is not good today. Spent all night panting and whining....her strong painkillers did nothing to help 😞 I am taking her back to vet first thing tomorrow I think I have to be brave and face the fact that she is seriously ill and without spending thousands to find out what it is (have already spent $1600 with no answers) ; she is failing again.

I am totally torn and heartbroken as she rallies; she eats and wags her tail etc. Yet she is also lying on the cold floor; does not want to lie in her nice bed. The panting and whining is awful; the painkillers seem to be not working. She also yelps in fright or pain if one accidentally brushes past her dear head :(.

I now think tomorrow will be the day . I am kidding myself. She is not getting better.

I hate life.

Dear Matchy

I am besides myself. She had a terrible night; panting and whining.....I kept stroking her and trying to get her to go to sleep. Her painkillers were not working...yet she got up today and ate breakfast and wanted to go for a walk? On walk she fell a few times and she actually turned back to come home 😞

She is now lying on cold floor; won't lie on her nice bed. I think the time has come. She has a vet appt at 8.30 am. At the end of the day; she can rally now and again but she is not right at all. I cannot afford another $5000 for an MRI that may not even diagnose anything. Her quality of life is rubbish and so is mine. I barely sleep and when she is so upset and unsettled like last night I freak.

How I wish the darling soul would pass away in her sleep. But that won't happen. I know how stoic dogs are. I have to make this heartwrenching decision.

I hope she knows I am doing it for her. 😞