FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Darling Dog Will Be Euthenized Soon

Guest_1573
Community Member

I have a dear dog whom I rescued from a horrible place in May 2020. She is now 9 years old. She is the light and love of my life. Two weeks ago she seemed to be unbalanced and a long story short I have taken her to the vet 4 times since then. She has had numerous tests and ultrasounds and the vet is not giving me any answers.

In the last two days she has been lying in the bathroom which she never does. She has been having tremors and crying in her sleep. Although the vet doesn't know what is wrong they have put her on strong painkillers. When she has these she doesn't show pain but sleeps.

She is not drinking water and is very out of sorts. I feel it is time to put her out of this misery. The vet wants to do an MRI at a cost of $5000.00. I have spent $1600 at the vet in the last 9 days.

I am besides myself as I feel she has had a stroke or has a brain tumour yet the vet keeps stringing me along. At the end of the day I truly believe she is showing all the signs of a poor animal at the end of her life.

I am so torn. I barely sleep, I put her on my bed at night and she is often panting, crying in her sleep or having tremors. I am so upset and anxious and I guess I just want someone to make that decision for me. Which I know is not going to happen.

I rang my local vet and told them what has been going on (they were not aware as I had to take dear doggy to emergency vet throughout all of this). They were very kind and said to me that if I truly feel it is time to take here there anytime and they will look after her....

I am so scared that if I do this it might be too early? Yet deep down I know something very wrong is going on with her....I am falling apart. I love her so much. She had a terrible life until I rescued her. I hate life. It is so terrible and unfair.

I have been crying almost constantly daily. Please someone help. Thankyou.

141 Replies 141

I'm so sorry you are facing this heart-breaking decision.

When I lost my cat, it broke my heart, but I was spared having to decide about money I might not have, on tests or treatments which might not work, in the effort to keep her alive, whether in pain or not. I wonder if I could have made the decision myself. I think, in the end, if I had, I could not, in all consciousness let her continue to suffer. It seems to me, you've done all you can, caring & loving your beautiful dog.

I'd love to give you a big hug, to be with you, but I can't. I hope you have someone who goes with you to the vet.

We'll be here, as you need.

mmMekitty

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Panicmerchant I am so sorry your beautiful dog has relapsed and is in pain again.It does not sound good at all what I have read in your last update.I only prey she will rally for you or go in her sleep which takes that decision away from you.Maby it was one last rally so you could enjoy her for one last time taking her for a walk and enjoying her.Their is a lot of pain for you making that decision and emotional is really an impossible decision to make.You can only make the best decision you believe is right for your beloved dog.I am here and will check out for you and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mark.

Guest_1573
Community Member

Hi Friends

I have an amazing update. I took her to my vet today. Within five minutes the vet had diagnosed a disc/verterbra issue...possibly arthritis or possibly caused by the fall darling girl had from car about two months ago???? She also has a slight ear infection.

She is now on muscle relaxants, ear medication and another pain killer. No walks for five days and needs to lose weight.

I am so relieved...so flabbergasted that the other vet never once mentioned it could be her back?! I only went to them as my vet was closed over the holiday break.

The vet truly believes she will recover from this. I cannot state how grateful I am to all of you beautiful people who helped me. I simply couldn't believe she was at the end as she was still loving her food etc? I am so so glad I did not make that decision!!!!

Luckily I have some money or it might have been a different decision. She is worth every cent. She is fast asleep on her bed now as is quite highly medicated. The vet says she needs to rest...which she of course resists! She is such a darling beautiful soul!

Love to you all. Pray that she recovers from this. I am totally worn out but happy. I do think she will be ok!!!!

xxxx

Dear Mark

Thankyou so much...I have posted update on my miracle girl!

xx

Dear mmMekitty

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved cat 😞

I posted update on my darling girl...finally have a diagnosis and she will most likely make a full recovery! I am in shock...of a good kind!

thanx for caring

hugs

xx

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Panicmerchant that is great you finally got a diagnoses that means you don't have to make that hard decision.I was hoping and praying that the vet could make a diagnoses for you that was curable.It was so hard for you the vets are so expensive and trying to get a diagnoses can be very expensive.I am so glad their is happy ending in this story for you.

Take care,

Mark.

What wonderful news! & what a wondrful relief for you, to have a way to help your darling dog. I'm so pleased for you & her. 😹

How do you think you'll manage the doggie diet? I found it so hard to not give in to Mekitty (that was her name(). I am similar with myself, even knowing what's good for me, I still find being stern about such things as maintaining a healthy diet.

I feel bouncy with happieness for you & your dog!

mmMekitty

Hi Panicmerchant,

I can see the hope and relief from your most recent post- I feel that with you! I can completely understand - our pets are our family, we love them so much and when something happens it's honestly so devastating.

I once heard something (which might be completely out of the box and might not be something a lot of people believe in) but I wanted to post it here just in case, there was an animal psychic medium and she said that our pets are more worried about us and what we are feeling, they are not worried about themselves but just want us to be happy.I hope that gives you some comfort, I have so much anxiety about my pet's health that it made me feel better just truly enjoying my time with them and making sure that I am there for them but also that I am taking care of myself or else they will worry.

We are here for you, please keep us updated

Guest_1573
Community Member

🙂 🙂

Things have deteriorated significantly since my last post! Three hours after I bought darling home from vet she was very sedated due to the medications they put her on. She became very distressed; was trying to get up to go outside to the toilet but couldn't. Had an accident which I cleaned up. I rang the vet and they said the side effects of the meds are quite severe to begin with (did not tell me that at the morning appointment) and to continue with the protocol.

By 4pm she was again extremely distressed; again because she couldn't get up to go outside...another accident that I cleaned up. Rang vet again who said to go get a pain medication patch for her as 'her pain must be high'...how the heck could it be after so much medication? So went and got the patch.

Dragged mattress into loungeroom so she could sleep on it with me; put towels everwhere...she kind of went to sleep but woke at 12.50 am extremely distressed; it was absolutely awful; she was howling; thrashing around but almost in a trance? Soiled herself...I rang emergency vet who was very kind and again retiterated how strong the drugs are and she told me it can take day or two for darling's system to become accustomed to them. She advised to give her two of the dog pain medication which I did; darling went to sleep ten minutes later.

All was well until 5.50 am when exactly the same thing happened! Again rang emergency vet; again; two of the pain medication etc....groundhog day!

When office opened I rang clinic I took her to yesterday and told them what had happened . I was so distressed and frustrated. I got the usual 'medication can take time blah blah' and I said 'well she wasn't great yesterday morning but she is absolutely almost comatose now!". I said is this her new normal??? I am getting palmed off by everybody!

Meanwhile my mattress is absolutely ruined and I have had to purchase a new one at great expense online, I do not care about that; what I care about is that my beloved hound is now in a terrible state and nobody wants to take accountability!! The only person in this whole disaster who has helped was the emergency vet overnight; she was so calming and so kind; not once did she say 'bring her down' at great expense and stress for my darling girl.

I am besides myself. I have had next to no sleep for over three weeks. I have no clue what the outcome will be for my darling . Seeing her in that awful state was totally traumatising. I have spent over 2,500 with this terrible outcome.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi I am sorry your poor dog is suffering when she should be improving.This is so stressful for you and I just want your dog to be pain free.It must be so upsetting for you.Lack of sleep is going to effect you.I hope things can improve for your beloved dog.