FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

DEPRESSION: Fight it or embrace it?

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Right now I feel like I don't have the energy to do either. Just existing is difficult enough. I've been trying to "float" this one out but the Black Dog is right there trying to drag me under.

My Psychologist tells me to embrace the depression, to accept it, to make the most of those rotten days when you feel like you can't do a thing. To just live with it and the sting of the depression will ease away. If I don't feed it, it will give up.

I must be doing something wrong as all that seems to do is escalate how horrid I feel, I break down in tears and feel like "what is the point" this monster is winning.

Depression. BPD. Stress. Suicidal thoughts. Maybe I do need to find ways to embrace these issues before they totally destroy me. But how?

Maybe I could try poetry, I've already painted a couple of pictures showing what is going on in my head, maybe more paintings or drawings might help get the muck out.

I'm just so tired and exhausted. Mental health issues suck!

Fighting it is exhausting. Trying to embrace it is soul destroying.

ACCEPTANCE! Where the hell is ACCEPTANCE! Think it ran away with HOPE!

Wishing you all a sense of acceptance and hope!

Cheers from a battered feeling Dools

776 Replies 776

WHAT MAY HELP WITH DEPRESSION:

. Accept the negative thoughts as just thoughts that can be changed

. Find a distraction that will provide a sense of achievement

. Read a book or watch a movie

. Phone a friend or family member for a chat

. Write down what is troubling the mind and work out a solution

. Have a cup of tea and sit in the garden

. Go for a walk

. Deep breathes in and out

. Do a Cross word or Sudoku Puzzle

. Have a soak in the bath

. Meditation

. Visualisation

. Use a phone help line if really struggling

Any other dot point ideas are more than welcome!

Cheers all from Dools

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Dools

We're off tomorrow, but busy tonight doing things - packing the car etc.

LOL, no we're not headed to SA (thank goodness). Hope it's going to be okay where we are - it is on the coast. Fingers crossed. The long range weather forecast has been good, though a little cold.

I know what you mean about short term memory. It's a bugger hey. Maybe put your list, of things to do when you down, on your fridge door with a fridge magnet or your kitchen cupboard door. Those are places you go to regularly! Or the toilet door (LOL), sorry just couldn't resist that.

BTW - great list.

Speak to you when I return.

Kind regards

PamelaR

Thanks PamelaR,

Happy camping! Will catch up with you when you return.

WHAT MAY HELP WITH DEPRESSION

. cuddle up to a pet or hug a pillow

. write a list of things you would like to achieve today

. acknowledge what you have managed to do

. write a poem or short story about how you are feeling, then write something cheerful or funny

. smile at someone you walk past or encounter

. watch a funny clip on you tube to make you laugh

. invite someone to join you at the movies

. watch children playing in a park, enjoy their happiness

. have a swing yourself or go down the slide

. realise that every day does not have to be a happy day to be a good day!

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dools,

Im sorry you've not been doing so well,

I can relate so much to flicking that switch on which is instant, but turning it off becomes difficult and when we do switch it off, it takes a long time to turn off properly..

I like your list of what may help with depression..I think you have covered nearly everything..but if I can just add..

• I like sitting in a dark room with candles burning and I just sit and watch the little dancing flame, while I have some soft gentle calming music playing.
  • Oh and of course..one of Deebi's chocolates, especially the ones she drops...

Dools, have you written a letter to your depressed self, putting some of your good or happy memories in the letter. when you are doing really well...That way you can read when you are really down and remember that you have been feeling okay at times and you will feel okay again...

I hope you enjoy today and you are okay.🤗..and everyone..

Grandy..

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Grandy,

Thanks for sharing your suggestions on what helps with depression and for your inspiring thought of writing myself a letter, remembering the good time and happier memories.

Today I have been trying to accept when the negative thoughts come and have tried to nip them in the bud so they don't bloom into something unpleasant.

I've been trying to cook some cakes and goodies today ready for friends on the weekend. My cooking skills are not that excellent, so I have had a double whammy or trying to be positive today! Ha. Ha.

As a teenager I had a dreadful problem with anger management. It escalated when I tried to cook. In one of Mum's cook books I have written a message full of expletives about a recipe I tried and failed at.

Mum likes to bring that cook book out now and then, especially when friends are over and she shows them my descriptive expressions regarding the recipe! Ha. Ha.

To help change the thoughts in my brain, I have been concentrating on my study for a while. That has been a good distraction as I had to come up with scenarios of how to help people when we don't speak the same language.

Regarding the cakes I made today, I am going to get my husband to but some custard and cream from the shops tomorrow! Trifle anyone?

Cheers from Dools

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dools,

I hope your weekend turns out the way you want it to...

Regarding the cakes, Thank your for the idea of trifle. Our biggest Morning tea is coming up in two weeks time..Have you found, if you cook a cake just for you it turns out looking and tasting good, if you cook it for guest, biggest Morning tea etc, it looks and taste like you scraped it of the floor...

I don't go to the event I try but, anxiety is high and I can't forget what they done and said to me when I closed the shop here..I do donate a cake yearly, but it never looks yummy.. This year I'm making some sausage rolls....can't go much wrong their, or can I ?...

I tried accepting the negative thought when it comes in, the emotion seems to effect me before I realise the thought has been..

I like the sound of you mums cooking book...Haha..Do your cook books also have descriptive messages on them..😁..

Hope your week end is good..🌹.

Grandy..

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Grandy,

No, I don't seem to have written in any of my cook books! Some pages do have a few food splatters on them though! I heard someone say once while they stayed in someone's home to look after the children, they looked in the cook books on the shelf and found some pages with marks on them and decided those were the recipes that must have been cooked a few times over, so used them.

Sausage Rolls sound lovely. I haven't tried to make those at all.

Yesterday morning I was busy cleaning the patio then went to visit friends for a couple of hours. When I arrived home, I had just parked the car when my sister rocked up surprisingly with her Uncle -in-law and they stayed for lunch and for some of the afternoon.

I was trying not to feel stressed when I had 101 other things I was wanting to do.

This being stressed out and depressed really is no fun when I can't get it under control!

I need to get myself organised now so we have food cooked and prepared!

Cheers all from Dools

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dools,

I like looking through the cook books that are donated to vinnies..Inside some of the books I find hand written recipes especially in the cake and biscuits books..I can only imagine that those recipes must have been at one stage family favourites....What a shame they weren't passed down..

I cheat with the sausage rolls, ready made puff pastry, sausage mince add a chopped up onion, some spices and herbs..mix together then roll in puff pastry...

Dools, take time out to breathe or go outside and look around to ground yourself, then maybe if you need to you can start doing what you need to do...

Im sorry that your having such a struggle with anxiety and depression..I will agree 100% that anxiety and depression is no fun at all...

I hope your day turns out good for you Dools..

Grandy..

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Grandy,

Thanks. Not sure what to write right now!

Cheers, from Dools