FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Adopted son of 37 years just contacted me..I'm so scared as what to do.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi I have another thread but unrelated to this.

37 years ago my husband and young son (2tears old). was living in our car for around 8 months.I was pregnant at the time. My parents disowned me when I eloped with my husband. My husbands parents were strange and we never told them we were living in the car.

I gave birth to my second son while we were living in the car. My hubby contacted his father and his Godmother who both talked us into putting our baby into foster care for a few months until we got organized, as we couldn't have a baby living in the car. After I got out of hospital my father in law told us to stay with him. Then a woman from child services came to see us and said it best to adopt our baby out.I didn't want to but I had to or we were back in the car living and would loose our baby and possibly our other young son . because father in law said it was the only way we could stay with them.

My adopted son found me and contacted me on Sunday I was to shocked to answer him back until today.contact has only been through facebook messenger. I told him i will ring him tonight around 8.30pm.

I have never told my 2 other sons about him. I don't know how to tell them.Will they hate me for doing this as I have hated myself and never forgiven myself over all these years.I have thought about him over the years especially on his birthdays. I am so very scared. Hubby died 4 years ago so I have to do this on my own.

Hubby and I decided we would never try to find him as we didn't want to upset his life..I am a complete mess as what to do..Please can someone help me.

279 Replies 279

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ggrand

I am sorry you are in such a state. I wish you could block out those negative voices and realise what a brave woman and loving mother you are.

You can do this, you are strong and have coped with a lot.

It is natural you will be anxious.

We are here helping you along.We care for you.

Please be kind to yourself.

Quirky

Neil_1
Community Member
Hi Karen,

No way are you pathetic, no way are you weak minded. And then as for those horrific things your husband used to say, well, I’d like you to write them on a piece of paper, take ‘em out to your back yard and either bury them forever, or burn them. NEVER to be thought of again.

That is not who you are.

I do hope that you’re on your way to see your sons at the moment … or one of them, I’m not quite sure. It does sound like you’ve got quite a drive in front of you. I can only imagine how your heart would be racing with this, but please please, when you get there, do try to take a step back and see your son(s) for how they are.

I have absolutely no idea, but I’m assuming that they have families of their own, they have jobs, they live in a house somewhere and they have developed into the kind of person you would have hoped they were going to turn into. Where am I going with this? They wouldn’t have got to where they are now WITHOUT YOU. Read that any number of times you like, but you were their Mum, and you were the one who was, I would think, largely responsible for all their assistance with growing up, learning right from wrong. With how your husband was, I would assume he’d have had very little positive interaction with them.

So please, know that the babies, the children, the teenagers, the young adults and now men, you helped along in life, are all because of you. That is HUGE and AMAZING.

Something I’m not sure if I’ve said earlier, and apologies if I have, but after this immediate weekend or however long you’re going to be away, I think it might be a very good idea to get to your GP again, to discuss things and how they’ve been. Just to get a professional view point on things.

But I do hope the outcome from this trip that you’re having will help you, if not in a small way, I do hope you’ll find some inner peace that in fact, you were a great mum and it was just the horrible circumstances that you had no control over, was the reason and the only reason for how things went.

My thoughts are with you.

Neil

Guest_128
Community Member

Just sending a big hug to you and we are all hoping that you are ok,and things are working out ok.

Dory

Hi

The way you have acted, your grief, your sadness for your son....

I wished my mum was you.

There's nothing else to say

Tony WK

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Before I left I went into my bathroom and done something stupid..I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and not happy with me so I took out the scissors and cut all my Long hair off..Why did I do something so dumb.

I arrived in Sydney at around 12.30. I couldn't finish my trip yesterday and stayed in a motel overnight.

Sitting on the bed I thought to check in for encouragement..

Neil I am stepping back right now and looking at my 2 sons. They have great wives, beautiful children, good jobs and are both buying their homes. I figure I was an ok mum. Thank you for telling me to do that.

Now I'm thinking how will they take my news. Will it destroy their happiness I don't want to do that. But I also don't want to destroy the hope of my adopted sons search for his biological family..I'm in a spot I made myself I have to fix it so everyone stays happy..

So many msg on my phone both sons keep ringing asking if I'm ok and where I am. I told them I changed my mind and will come a day later..That's today a bit more time i need to breathe deeply get myself under control. White Knight thank you for your lovely words, quirkywords thank you for your encouraging words and Dory thank you for your hugs..I don't think I could have gotten to Sydney without your help..

I need some more time before I leave here.

Guest_128
Community Member

Poop poop poop

I am outside doing jobs and just remembered today is the day!

It all going to be ok! your children sound very switched on in life.

I so recon this is going to make you all so much closer.

Massive squishy hug for you, we are with you on this and here to talk about it when your ready. I'm so excited for

Breath and talk slowly,it will ok.

Dory, I'm holding your hand.xo

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ggrand

Dory is holding one hand and I am holding the other.

your boys already know how much you love them and what a great mum you are.

I am sure when you tell them they feel sad that you had to go through so much and they will be delighted about finding out they have a new brother. Everyone will be happy because they have you for a mum.

I had to smile as I have done that cut my hair impulsively, I am sure you look great . Sometimes we just do things that do not make sense but seemed like a good idea at the time.

I will be thinking of you today and sending hugs as you need them. I am so proud of you.

Quirky

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ggrand,

Thinking of you today.

Kind thoughts

Quirky

Good luck. Thinking of you

Tony WK

Ggrand
Community Champion