FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mum why did you have to leave

imissingyou
Community Member

I’m 17 years old and my mum died three days ago.  It was totally unexpected, she was in perfect health, fit and energetic she was.  When do you finally believe it’s real and not a joke? When do you stop feeling an ache in your chest that feels constricting and painful? 

will it ever go away… I read things and it says it will but I don’t know how.  Everything is so wrong and unfair.

mum why did you have to leave

4 Replies 4

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am so so sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine how you must be feeling right now. Losing a parent would be so hard, but what do you know - it is one of life's unfortunate tragedies that most people endure. You are so young and because it was unexpected - it is so so unfair. Life is so short. 

Please reach out to your family and seek mental health support if you need it during these trying times xx

You can call beyond blue here at 1300 224 636 or Kids Helpline 1800 551 800. 

Again, very sorry for your loss,

Jaz xx

Bentley87
Community Member

Hey,

It's not fair. I lost my dad unexpectedly 2.5 weeks ago and every day every moment is different. Ride the waves of grief and make sure you have a good support network around you. It's not fair and life is so precious. Sit with your feelings and remember it's ok to not be ok 

PrincessE
Community Member

@imissingyou

So sorry to read you have lost your mum so young 

I hope you have some nice friends and family to support you 

This grief is painful and unbearable, I understand the pain you must be feeling 

I recently lost my dog (Golden Retriever) she was my child that I loved and adored

i just don’t know how to go on without her 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello imissingyou, I am just so sorry that your mum has passed away, sometime that is expected but no one time is a good time when you love her so much.

It does take time when you don't get an answer from her like you always did before, so you find another way or someone else to ask which may not be the same as what your mother would suggest, but when this happens you then learn that she has unfortunately passed away.

Her profound advice will always remain with you, although as your life progresses, your life develops in another direction, although always keeping her close to your heart.

Geoff.

Life Member.