FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Family member who committed suicide

Amber3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hello I'm amber and my brother suicided in June and I'm really struggling with the why's and other thoughts. Is there any other people out there that have had a family member suicide?
12 Replies 12

Guest_128
Community Member

Hey Amber, welcome.

You have come to the right place,there are so many people that will understand everything that is going on with you.

I am truly sorry about your brother,and I know you will be able to share all your feelings here..

For me I had my favourite nice take her life at 19, to this day no one has any idea why.

But this is about you.

We are here for you and I'm sorry it takes a bit before it gets going.

Hang about.

Later

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Amber3

Found your other post.

When I found myself in the situation you now find yourself in, I was at a complete loss. It sure would have been helpful had there been a beyondblue back then, but there wasn't. Society figured that since I was not a relative, that I should be able to get over it, in next to no time. (I wish that were true)

It took me a while to stop blaming myself for not being there. For not seeing the signs. For not hearing the silent cries for help. And, I think that is your first step. You need find an acceptance in your heart and soul (not just your mind and in words) that it happened due to reasons beyond your control.

I am thinking about Christie at the moment, it's still a memory that I have not fully come to terms with. And though it is difficult for me to think about her, I am willing myself to do just that as I need to find a glimmer of hope to share with you, to help you find you peace.

I am struggling to write, as I don't want to say anything triggering for you. I mean, since I don't know circumstances of his death or how you became aware of it, I don't know the boundaries of similarity between my experiences and yours. It's like I am trying to navigate you home, but I don't know where you are.

The one thing, that I did --- and that I am ever grateful that I did do it then, when the memories were fresh in my mind --- was to remember a wonderful, joyous occasion that we had spent together. I remember the lake we were canoeing upon, the weather, the water, the way the warm sun glinted off from fair skinned back. It was a great summer day. I can still see her smile. She was so happy that day. It is this memory, that I have visually committed to memory, that I recall whenever I remember that awful day that I first met her parents, only to tell them she was gone. 😞

It is having at least one good memory of people that helps me come back from the brink of despair and find happiness in my memories of them once again. May I suggest that you find one of your brother, for you to hold on to. To bring you back from your brink of despair.

Talk to us, we're listening...
SB

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Amber

If I can express my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother.

My heartfelt thoughts are with you as my brother took his own life and I understand your pain and sorrow

Im Paul...a volunteer on the forums and if I can be of any assistance, support or even just for a chat you are more than welcome Amber

There are also many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you too

I really hope you can talk to us when you are up to doing so....

My kindest thoughts for you in this tragic and difficult time Amber

Paul

Tripletail
Community Member

Hi Amber...

My best mate did just that..

Not blood family, yet to me more than that...

Why ? Why ? Why?

A never ending symphony of why?

I had reasons why i could blame myself..

I had theories of why.

To begin with i wanted definate answers of why.

Blame myself or other factors.

WHY?.. .

Now i accept..

Yeah Amber i accept..

I forgive myself..

I forgive all the things i know i think i should have done..

I just did everything i could and used my skill and ability i had at the time ..

Don't be hard on yourself.

We are human.

We have skills

We have abilities

In hindsight i wished i was so more able and wise.

I wish so much i could have stopped it.

Acceptance and forgiveness of ones self truly helps.

WHY ?

I'll always back you on that one..

Forgive yourself.

Thinking of you .

TT

Hello Amber

I hope you read my post on the other thread. Love to hear from you again so we can support you as much as possible.

Mary

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Amber I had replied on another thread, but I have copied/pasted it
My deepest sympathy to you because there are no answers to the questions you are asking yourself, too many 'why's or what if's' it's just so sad to know that he isn't with you anymore, so you must have so much you want to talk about, the good times, the moments when you both talked about your own problems, and those special moments you consoled each other, these are memories you won't forget about.
It's not a pleasant time for you and I feel so sorry for you, and nobody could ever answer any questions you have asked yourself, and the only solution to getting over this is to make your own conclusion.
I have lost three friends to suicide, all of these I had no idea about how they were thinking, they always pretended to be OK, but deep down they were suffering so badly as I've now learnt, because we were all young and my experience with suicide was nil, I only wish I had known, then I would have asked, researched and done all I could to get them help, that was not to be, which I'm so sorry about, if only I knew.
There must be so much you want to talk about, there will be plenty of tears and rightly so, moments when you want to stop talking but definitely, moments where all you want to do is express how you feel, not only for yourself but also for your brother.
I really hope that you can get back to us and share the pain you are suffering from, I know it's not easy but my heart goes out to you. Geoff. x

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Amber

Just saying hello and seeing how you are going. I understand this is an awful time for you

when you are up to it I hope you can let us know how you are

my kind thoughts for you

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Amber, I second Paul's comment because it's a worry for all of us, just as it is for you and what you must be going through. Geoff.

summerdays
Community Member

Hi Amber,

I am so so sorry for your loss.

Yes I have lost a brother to suicide. When he was 20 and I was 22. It was awful.

We went to the hospital but were turned away.

He had issues for many years.

Our Dad died by suicide when he was 6 and I was 8.

I think our lives have been a ripple effect from that. And perhaps his suicide was a ripple effect of something else.

I will never forget the pain I experienced when I lost my bro.

It hurts so much to reminisce about my childhood because he is gone.

Journalling helped me alot, and so did music.

When I viewed his body I wept and told him I was sorry. I felt really bad that I couldn't save him, but fortunately I was able to let go of that guilt and I understood that he was in peace now and that was all I really wanted. I was strong enough to deal with the pain of not having him around, if it meant that he was now in peace.

They die because life hurts too much. I respect my bro so much.

All the best xx