FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Toxic Workplace

Anonanon
Community Member

Hello.

My workplace is very toxic. Bullying and abusive leadership style is rife. The HR department consists of one person who doesn't have the skill set or knowledge to be in this position. So nothing is ever followed up. It's very depressing. I've never come across this type of environment before. I've now resigned and will be working elsewhere. Many reasons for my resignation, think they were annoyed. Found out today that some gossip behind my back, and tell untruths. It gets to me, I know it shouldn't but it does annoy me. Not one person has asked me why I'm leaving, and there will be no exit interview. But it doesn't surprise me as they don't want to change and won't want to hear the truth.

I just needed to get this off my chest, as I don't have anyone to vent to.

Thanks to all who read 🙂

7 Replies 7

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Anonanon

welldone for starting this thread.m

I am sorry you experienced working in such a toxic workplaces. Iam glad yiu are not working there but you were treated badly.

did many people leave that workplace.

we are listening feel free to keep posting.

Sunflower62
Community Member
The important thing is making the right decision for yourself. It is good that you recognise that the environment that you were working in was toxic and the best thing for you was to leave. You are not responsible for how other people think or act. You are responsible for how you respond. Go and do something nice for yourself this weekend. Start focusing on the future and what to do next.

Baljit
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Anonanon,

It’s so disappointing to read that you are having such a poor experience at your workplace.

It’s a shame that they will not be conducting an exit interview, and hence this demonstrates that there is a reluctance to change.

Unfortunately, in the future there will be times where you will be unable to influence change of others, but what you can do is adapt/change your approach and behaviours, without compromising your personal values, as you have done on this occasion.

I think you have done the right thing in moving on, and as the saying goes “their loss, will be somebody else’s gain”.

I am confident that this experience will make you a more stronger and resilient individual going forward.

Good luck in your new role.

Vik_C
Community Member
Hello Anonanon. Good on you for identifying and calling out poor / destructive workplace culture. Totally get where you are coming from. You sound like you have quite a sensible head on your shoulders - as you got out - and welcome the next chapter of your life. Good on you! All the very very best. Vik

41singleBNE
Community Member
Get out of there and don't look back

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Anonanon, you made a really good choice about leaving you job. What you have done is shown them you have guts and that you do not tolerate that kind of disrespectful behaviour!!! I really applaud you to do some self care in relation towards your mental health by leaving that toxic environment, believe me those types of work places suck out your soul.

Hold your head high and kick goals in your new job!!!

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Anonanon,

I am sorry you experienced this. It never feels good to hear people being rude to you. But from what I see - it is great that you made the call to leave. I would have too. It says more about them than it does about you. Good on you for leaving.

Jaz.