FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Supportive psychiatrist / psychologist recommendation.

JustMehere
Community Member

Hello.

I'm hoping that I may be able to tap into some of the collective wisdom and life experiences of the good people here. Please excuse any mistakes I may make.

I need to find a good psychiatrist and /or clinical psychologist { can be private}  a.s.a.p. - I know I probably wont be able to get in to see them immediately.

By supportive I mean that they will actually LISTEN to me. - my issue is a disability / insurance  one but I'm not applying for the disability pension { not yet at any rate...hopefully I can avoid that}.

I'm fairly desperate and would greatly appreciate ANY help.

Thank you and Best wishes. 

God Bless

2 Replies 2

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi JustMeHere,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing here. Unfortunately, due to the community guidelines we are unable to share specific names of clinicians here. However, in my opinion it would be best to consult your GP on the matter. Most GP's are aware of what psychologists and psychiatrists are in the area and who they generally refer to. Additionally there are directories available such as https://psychology.org.au/find-a-psychologist . These directories won't give you reviews but you can usually find the website of the clinic and look up any testimonies or google reviews available. Hope that helps. 🙂

Bob

Junior1962
Community Member
Psychology today website is another place to look. I’m seeing someone privately who I found here. 
Look at the info about what their specialities are - psychology is a very broad field - and see if you can find a match that is not too far from home. It’s a good idea to get a MH Plan from your GP too. 
Good luck.