FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Self esteem and work

sparrowhawk
Community Member

Hi everyone, 

I was offered a job the other day, a job I had really wanted. I accepted it and start next week. Family is so happy for me and really excited, but I'm feeling so anxious about the whole thing. I have anorexia and some depressive/anxiety issues, so this is a pretty big step.

I just honestly feel like I'm going to let the team down. I have to work hard to be confident and social, but I'm such an awkward person really. I keep thinking, "if they really knew me, they wouldn't have hired me". Someone was asking me about superannuation and I got so anxious. I've become so ambivalent about the future - and to be honest, sometimes I don't feel like I'm going to live that long anyway.

I don't know if I'm looking so much for advice as for a space to vent.

1 Reply 1

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Sparrowhawk,

Thank you for sharing on the forums and please feel free to vent away. 🙂 Congratulations on getting the job you were after! I have depression and am also job hunting so I somewhat know how big a step (and how daunting) it can be. But please remember to reward yourself, you've achieved a huge goal and deserve praise. 

It is common, especially for those with anxiety issues, to underestimate their own ability and feel like they're going to let the team down. Here is a list of thinking errors common with those with depression/anxiety I found on thiswayup.org.au. The trick to overcoming these thoughts is to challenge them. This is best done alongside a mental health professional but some tips include: "What would you say to a friend in a similar situation?" "What happened the last time you felt this way? Did your thoughts come to pass?". Do you have a psychologist or counsellor you can see?

In the meantime if you need to talk to someone please feel free to contact beyond blue 24/7 through phone or web chat here. Alternatively, if you were needing to talk to someone about any issues that are eating disorder or anorexia related, the butterfly foundation also has a national phone line and web chat as well as plenty of resources.

Please update us on how you go and how work goes next week! I hope it goes well and remember - you're just as capable and deserving as anyone else who works there. 🙂

Bob