FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

No motivation whatsoever (please help)

44Max44
Community Member
Hi,

So, I've been suffering from depression and GAD for around half a decade now, and because of this, I've pretty much had no motivation to do anything other than sit at home on my computer to distract me from everything else.
I'm in my 20s yet I haven't learned to drive because I'm too anxious too, and I haven't pursued any careers or education because I have no idea where to even start and even if I did I probably wouldn't have the motivation to start.
I've contemplated selling my computer so I have no choice but to do other stuff, but my fear is that I've come too dependent on it since I'm usually on it during 100% of my free time and will just get even more depressed.

Basically, my question is what are some good ways to motivate yourself to actually get out into the world and be productive and not be a hermit? I really want to improve my life but I have no idea how to. I am completely and utterly lost and just need some guidance.

Any and all help is highly appreciated. Thank you
2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Max, and thanks for posting your comment.

Your computer will always come in to be handy in whatever else you want to do, however, use it to start researching ideas on what you maybe interested in doing 6 years from now because you're still young and the opportunities are wide.

It maybe difficult to start, but try and find a way to make the task more exciting, mixing things up can also help you get things done, such as, if you want to become fitter but hate the gym, then do yoga or even karate for example because there is always two ways to achieve a goal.

As soon as you start to think negatively, then stop, have a break or do something that is positive.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Nurse_Jenn
Community Member

Hi 44Max44,

Great to see reaching out for some support towards getting motivated to do different things in your life. Getting unstuck form the screen is a common affliction these days as many people seek sanctuary in the vast variety the web can offer as well as in its safety in that you don't have to feel stressed live social interactions. Despite this, the internet can still be a lonely place despite all the positives it can bring.

Like any big change, getting away from your computer screen may have to start with some small steps. I always suggest that a simple start is best. You could set yourself a goal schedule for example, for five minute increments each day, do something out of the house during your free time. You could for example walk to a local park or beach and just sit for five minutes with no screen time. The next day, you could do this for ten minutes and then build up to a longer period such as one hour. Once your reach this goal, you could move on to something different such as go to a cafe and read a book (no screen time). You could continue progressing towards reaching a goal of joining a social group or taking a course.

This is just an example of taking small steps towards reaching a goal. If you are really struggling to get here, you might need some extra support such as with a counsellor or even a support group. You could discuss with you GP the support available in your community or even visit the local community centre and ask if there is anything available. You could also try be to reach out to your local TAFE and ask to meet with a student counsellor. You might be able to find some support in the student services TAFE offers and explore where you might start to explore some interests and even try to register for a course.

Another option is to try to get some support in the form of a counsellor for you anxiety symptoms. There is a program called NewAccess which is a free Beyond Blue program available in some parts of Australia. You can learn about this program and see if it is available in your area by going to this website. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/newaccess/where-are-your-access-coaches-located

Another program is a online service called Mindspot which support people over the internet and via phone with worry and low mood. You can see if this program is right for you by going to this webpage https://mindspot.org.au

Wishing you the best possible outcome,

Nurse Jenn