FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to this Forum.

Ilovehats
Community Member
Not sure where to start?
I’ve made some huge life decisions due to being extremely unhappy in my marriage for over a decade thinking things will change but I’ve come to realisation that nothing will ever change unless I change it myself. My almost adult child has moved with me and I’m having some physical health problems at the same time as well as being diagnosed with long Covid.
I’ve joined BB as I’ve got to the stage where I’m waking up having panic attacks that we are going to be homeless in a few years when my money runs out. I’m working but on a single income it’s really difficult to balance the budget alone. The cost of living rising, no longer having a home and being part of a partnership is very scary. Add on Covid, a child experimenting with drugs and that’s my life. My GP diagnosed my depression years ago. I’ve been on anti depressants for 3 years and I want to come off them and start looking after myself and my mental health. I’ve put everyone else first for the last 20 years and I’ve got nothing left to give anyone I’m just exhausted , stressed and empty. Any advice to someone starting their journey please. My GP is no help not interested at all just gives me anti depressants and tells me to stress less and meditation. 💜
4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hello ilovehats,
Thank you so much for joining our online community. We are very glad you have reached out to us here.

You are very brave to share this with us, the emotional exhaustion of all you have been through can make communicating so arduous at times. We are grateful for your courage, and I am sure many who read this will feel less alone for reading your thoughts.

It is very possible for anxiety and panic attacks to be a symptom of a body that is utterly exhausted, and it sounds like you have every right to be feeling that way right now. The drama of COVID won't be leaving us anytime soon sadly, and if that was all that you had faced, that would still be enough - so your journey this year more than explains where you are at emotionally.

It certainly feels like having a community around you would be of significant benefit at the moment, especially if the assistance from your GP feels limited. So we are very glad, first and foremost, that you have joined us here. Please also click here to check out our companions over at Friend line.  You can also have a look at the resources on BlackDog Institute which can be helpful with everything you are going through at the moment. 

Of course, please feel free to drop us a line, we would be delighted to give you counselling support, but also provide more area specific referrals as well - please click here for webchat, or give us a call on 1300 22 4636

Thank you again for being with us ilovehats! Please reach out soon!

Regards,

Sophie M.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Ilovehats

Welcome to the forums and good on you for having the courage to post!

Waking up having panic attacks is an awful experience. Not to mention long covid....eww. I used to have chronic anxiety attacks for a couple of decades and understand the pain you are going through

You have covered a few points in your post Ilovehats. I have been on a low dose of AD's and its been a huge help where my own anxiety is concerned especially with frequent counselling as the meds arent a 'fix all'

Can I ask if your panic attacks (anxiety) are having a negative impact on your ability to function effectively on a day to day basis?

There are many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you Ilovehats. Any questions are always welcome 🙂

you are not alone

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Ilovehats, hi and welcome to the forums.

Firstly can I suggest you see another doctor, someone who cares for your well being and who can possibly help your child, if that's what he wants.

There is medication that will help stop certain addictions, but it will only work if that person wants it to, and if this possible then that's one problem you don't necessarily have to cope with, but at the moment trying to cope with all these issues could be keeping you physically sick, especially when you have COVID.

It's not easy dealing with everything you have mentioned because when any other small problem arises, it could multiple and eventually become another major concern, and with this, it could be the reason for your panic attacks, although I'm not a doctor to qualify this.

You have every right to decide you want to stop taking AD's, however, if they aren't working and your present doctor doesn't much care, then perhaps another doctor can help you further.

Struggling to cope with a child who has an addiction, makes you unsure of the direction you want to take, trying to protect your money, while still providing for them, but frightened of what may happen is always a great concern for you, and may cause much worry for you, and with all of this happening, then you need to ask your doctor for help.

I am really so sorry all of this is going on and want to help you as much as possible.

My very best.

Geoff. x

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are going through all this, it seems very stressful.

I know you say your GP isn't much help, but have you sought another opinion? medication is helpful, yes, but I feel like a mental health care plan could help too. A GP can write one out for you so you can be referred to a psychologist. A psychologist can teach you the skills necessary to deal with depression, which is generally better at preventing relapse than CBT.

It is up to you though but I hope things improve, and we are all here to talk if you need! Always advocate for yourself.

All the best,

jaz xx