FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My depression has stopped me from doing my work for months - what do I do now?

Valerie_Cherish
Community Member

I've really messed things up.

I have a major project at work that I have to complete in the next 4 weeks, but the truth is that it will be impossible for me to complete it.

For the 3 months I have found myself incapable of doing any work, I have turned up to work each day, and done the bare minimum, but have probably done less than 1 hour of work each day and have done almost no work on my project.
My manager is interstate and thinks that I have things under control but I do not.

I've spent the last month in an absolute panic waiting for the moment when I get found out. I can't sleep, I'm beside myself all of the time, and when I'm at work I'm so overwhelmed by the outstanding work that I don't even know where to start.

I am applying for other jobs because I need to get out before they realise how badly I've messed up.

8 Replies 8

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Valerie Cherish, thanks for posting your comment because it does take a great deal of courage to post a new thread.

Can I ask you if you have been diagnosed by your doctor because I'm not qualified to do so, but from my experience and what you have asked us is that depression can restrict us from wanting to do any work at all, so please can I implore you to book an appointment with your doctor and let us know.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff, thank you for responding.

I did go and see my gp yesterday.

I had previously seen her about my mental health also.

I'm going to go back for more counselling and she has prescribed me some medication. She doesn't think I'm fit for work at the moment but I went today because I don't want to let them down .

I'm going back to see her next Monday.

This is the hardest time of my life, I've never felt so down, thank you for responding

Hello Valerie Cherish, thanks for getting back to me.

Has your doctor given you a 'mental health plan', this entitles you to 10 paid Medicare sessions per year.

You need to be looking after yourself and with my depression, I couldn't work, I didn't want to do anything, and with your doctor not wanting you to go back to work could give you a certificate and as you say 'you've done the bare minimum'.

Can I ask when your boss returns from interstate?

Geoff.

Hello Geoff,

Yes she has given me a mental health, and she did say she . would give me a certificate, so perhaps I'll ask for one when I go back on Monday.

My boss is based permanently interstate, which is why she doesn't have a very good understanding/oversight of how I'm tracking.

Hello Valerie Cherish, thanks for getting back to us and I'm pleased about the mental health plan, and can I ask if you have had any luck in applying to other jobs.

Take care.

Geoff.

TunnelVision
Community Member

Hi Valerie. I really feel for you because I found myself in a similar situation at work. I was really struggling to get one of my projects done, if something else cropped up that I could do instead I would constantly do that instead of focusing on the project work. I missed some key deadlines and I am still catching up on a lot of the stuff.

I know it is going to be hard for you, but would suggest that you book an hour appointment with your boss, book a meeting room where you can't be overheard and have a teleconference about your project. Explain your situation and be apologetic but let her know that you have tried but your mental health has impeded your progress. Your boss will then have the option of bringing someone in to help you, or maybe even extending your deadline or possibly both. Maybe you could even think about some possible solutions that you could present to her?

You might find that it will be a huge weight off your shoulders once you have been honest about the situation, and that can help with getting yourself on the road to recovery.

Hi Valerie Cherish

just checking in to see how you're doing. Hope you've been ok this week, so far.

Thank you to everyone for responding and checking in on me. It means a lot to me.

I did make a meeting with my boss and she's helping me to make a new plan to get the work done, with a revised deadline.
It's still difficult but I feel much better.