FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feelin down and have lost all hope

Bell 81
Community Member

Hi,

I am new to the forums. I am feeling really down at the moment and don't really see a way forward. My job is really stressful and I have started to look for a new one but not sure I will be successful due to my current mind set. I just don't feel like doing anything and sleep a lot. Sometimes I feel so down that I am not sure I want to continue as life is very hard at the moment. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 Replies 2

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

A warm welcome to you Bell 81

Sorry to hear you're struggling so much at the moment. It's definitely tough when we feel like we've lost our compass and our energy in life.

I believe it would pay to go and visit your GP. Running some blood tests, for a start, could rule out some of the usual suspects in the way of severe energy depletion (iron, B12 and so on). Personally, a B12 deficiency really messed me around some years ago in ways I would never have imagined. Besides messing with my mental processing ability, I could barely get off the couch I was so tired. I was also rather down, verging on depression which upset me, as depression was something I had gladly left behind me some years before. All came good in the end thanks to an astute doctor.

Something else that can mess with our perception, chemistry and energy involves the mental health side of things. I imagine this is something your doctor may also discuss with you, referring you to someone if he/she feels this is the best course of action.

Sounds like you definitely need some support and guidance in the way of well-being. Seeing your GP is possibly the best step in helping you manage the challenges you face. We all need some form of management strategy in life, here and there and in a variety of ways.

Take care Bell

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Bell and welcome to the forums 🙂

I just wanted to welcome you to the forums 🙂 therising has given some great advice so I won't repeat what they have said 🙂

I was struggling in my old job as well. I was looking for work and getting no where. I found seeing a psychologist during this time really helpful. It helped me work through my depression and anxiety and to not get swallowed up by it. Yes it was hard looking for work and getting in the right mindset to apply for jobs, but it was good having someone on my side, that could help me deal with it and move forward.

I find making sure you get enough self care is vital. When you are really stressed the stress hormone (cortisol) can reek havoc on your body, so making sure you get enough down time to help reduce stress is vital. I try do things that help distract me. Things like walking the dog, having a bath, reading a book, watching a comedy move, going out for ice cream with friends. Find something that will help release some stress or distract you from it.

Again welcome to the forums. And if you want to talk about your stress and work issues feel free to discuss here. We are all here to support each other