FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Just before all the bad feelings kick in, I feel insanely happy, why?

apricotandcreams
Community Member
In the last year or so, I have started to experience depression. It isn't too severe, only lasting a few days at a time before my head clears and I am back to my regular self. What I have figured out is a pattern is starting to emerge though. In the days preceding my mental health taking a turn for the worse, I am very happy, energetic, productive and ready to do anything that is going to use up the energy I have. Then, sometimes in the space just a couple of hours, I will become lifeless. I'll be tired, unable to think, super distracted and most of all numb - all the things you'd expect from depression. If anyone out there has tips on ways to smooth the transition from going form super high to crashing lows I would appreciate it. Or even for when I am in that state, tips for dealing with the numbness that would also be appreciated! Cheers fam
1 Reply 1

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Apricot and Creams

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am not sure why you are having these mood changes. I know if I am getting sick, e.g.'flu, I can often feel particularly well the day before. Maybe that is due to all the antibodies rushing to defend and giving me a lift at the same time. However I cannot see why there would be a similar action/reaction with mood.

It could be that your depression is changing in some way. I think Bipolar works in this way but I do not have the knowledge to determine this for you. I can suggest you see your GP and get this sorted out. I think if I was having such rapid changes in mood I would be concerned about why.

If you want to know about Bipolar Disorder then visit the Black Dog Institute. They have great information on this topic. http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au From the home page click on Clinical Resources and there you are.

Would you like to come back and talk some more?

Mary