FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I don't know what to do

t..c
Community Member

So, I've had a rough couple years, a lot of shit has happened to me. But this year has been really good, I started studying as a nurse, got a new job in aged care, got a big promotion in cadets (basically army for kids if you don't know). Everything is going amazing. But I'm really struggling lately, so many friends have gotten into the actual Army and are leaving soon or have left (one of them being my best friend). I haven't been keeping up with uni assignments and I just have not been motivated what so ever. I get snappy really easily too. I don't want to go to my doctor because I want to be in the Army and they are very strict when it comes to mental health problems and I already have a history. I already know the answer but I don't want it to be. I have no intent to end my life or anything like that but I just feel so low and wanna sleep all the time, I have no energy to do the things I love and I don't want to do them either. I know I probably should go speak to someone about what to do but the army is all I've ever wanted I don't want to jeopardise my chances any more. (I have actually already been deemed medically unfit once due to past mental health problems from 5+ years ago by the Army (Jan this year) but I am aloud to reapply in a year (Jan next year) and medically I can have as many attempts as I want but the wait time gets longer). 

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Dear t..c

Thank you so much for continuing to be a member of our forum community. We are extremely grateful to have you.

We can really hear that you feeling the weight of wanting your goals, and the fear that come with facing mental health in a way that sounds quiet lonely and tired. We just want to remind you have brave you have been in trying to face into your challenge to achieve your desired goal.

We feel there is a lot of reason to be so very proud of yourself. but we fully embrace how anxious it can feel when it feels like friends are being lost or left behind. We want you to know that we are rallying to support. Please continue to reach out to this community, but know that you can reach out to us 24/7 on 1300 22 4636, or click here to start a webchat.

Please don't give up, t..c, and please keep chatting with us!

Regards,

Sophie M.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello t..c, I appreciate your dedication and thank you for wanting to part of the army, not an occupation everyone wants to be part of, and realise there are many other benefits available to those who have joined, it's a credit to you.

It's always difficult comparing yourself with your friends, and whether or not they have been able to join the army and actually left may be for reasons that don't relate to your circumstances, that's why you can't compare them to you.

Sure they may be great friends and will remain to be.

As you have already got into aged care and finding it difficult to complete your assignments, then are you able to put this on hold, and once you're in the army then this training can begin to become a nurse, there you can become qualified.

Now you have a few months to try and get your health back to how you want it to be, and if you can place this in your browser then it may help, 'free seminars on mental health australia'.

Your mental attitude is right, all you need is some help, and as well as doing this, do some research on what you can achieve by being in the army, all you need is some encouragement.

Geoff.

Life Member.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

WOW t.,c! You've done some truly amazing things! I'm so impressed by your willingness to serve others and your drive to get to where you want to be. 

Training as a Nurse AND working in Aged Care AND getting a promotion in Cadets? 
I'm gobsmacked. 
These are really huge achievements, I hope you recognise this?

I saw parallels in your story that were in my younger life, not all, but the major goals parts - yes. 
I ONLY wanted to be a Physiotherapist. That's all. Nothing else, nup nothing. 
Then when I got into Uni omg... the things I had to do literally made me ill... I probably had triggered PTSD from that. 
I abruptly changed Units. 

I went through quite a lot of grieving, whilst letting go of my only career dreams... but then another one slowly came into my vision. I battled with this, but considered what my Lecturers and Advisors said and had to agree. 

I've had a stellar career for over 40y even being promoted to a Federal Govt position, yah believe that! Hahaha. 
Tbh I'm gobsmacked myself.

Indeed The Army IS solid on their intake conditions and they need to be! We have to PROTECT our armed forces in every way we can and it's no mean feat dealing with the realities of the job. 
My eldest daughter is doing her Psych Honors and developing an App FOR The Australian Armed Forces focussed on measuring a person's MH throughout the day. 

You might be able to sweep some things under the rug to get in, but maintaining this job, without the proper support could be dire for you. 
Food for thought? 

EM

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi t..c,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand that we see friends progressing into what they want to do and we think when will it be my turn?

It will be your turn when the time is right for you.

I understand you don’t want to go to your doctor incase in reflects negatively on your record for the army.

but don’t you think that it s best to see your doctor and receive all of the professional help that you need to reach recovery?

Once you are in a state of wellness then I feel maybe then the time will be right for the army.

Our inner work builds us in so many ways.