FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I don't feel wanted in this world

elegantDownfall
Community Member

Hi Beyond Blue Forums,

I've been feeling rather down and very much unwanted by the people in my life. I feel like I'm always second-rate, used and will never ever be good enough for anyone. My friends and family are all very talented, high achievers and aim for good careers and a solid future. Me on the other hand, I'm always supporting my friends dreams, encouraging them to take chances and feeling happy for them. I try my best to work hard and do well, hoping that one day I'll be able to shine and stand next to them. But I realised, no matter how much I try, how much time and effort I put in- I'll never be good enough for anything, I'll never be able to succeed and I'm just not going to have a future.

My parents at home are supportive of me, but they don't see the whole picture. They kind of feel that if I'm well fed and have a roof over my head, then I'll be happy. I'm also limited to how much emotion I can show in my household. Since my family has always been very large and happy - with no one ever having a history of mental/emotional issues, they don't really understand how to deal with someone been upset or going through a phase of emotional breakdowns.

Overall I just don't feel very wanted. I feel that my friends kind of have me there just for the support. They'll use me once and then kind of throw me away. I'm always second-rate in everything, I'll never stand out and I kind of accepted that I will never be special to anyone. I always feel isolated from this world, tired and really just want to give up.

2 Replies 2

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Elegant,

Recently I had a chat with a psychiatrist and he told me that I didn't appreciate myself enough, seems like you are thinking the same way about yourself.

know when I compare myself to others, I feel like I fall short. There are things that I amgood at, I just don't recognise them most of the time.

You mentioned you have been there to help and support your friends, that may seem like just something that you do. I wonder if your friends are bale to do that for each other or are they too bust pursuing their own achievements?

Next time you are with your friends, hold your head up high, stand or sit in a positive manner, feel bold, feel worthy, feel like you belong there just as much as they do, because you do!

Would it help you to write a note to your parents or a sibling you are close to and explain to them that you are struggling and would like their help.

Until your family are aware of just how deep your feelings are, they will not be able to appreciate what is happening for you.

Having a rest for a while is oaky, but giving up makes it even harder to get going again!

Hopefully you can find your sense of worth and your self esteem and work on those things.

Cheers for now from Dools

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

elegant hi similar to yourself I don't have much talent. I have had many different jobs friends family all great jobs or carriers. They have had great kids long before me. I have been left on the heap. But for me I know often they would not have got anywhere near a good a job if I had not been there for them pushing them on worrying about them and their welfare over mine. I know it's people like us that help the others get where they are they need people like us to survive. We are the backbone for them the main support. You are much needed by all.

Kanga