FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to get interested in life again?

Damaged
Community Member
Hi all. I have been suffering anxiety and depression for a really long time. I am really trying to beat it though I always seem to find myself repeating the same patterns because anything outside of my standard routine is too hard to deal with. My life at the moment life consists of a 58 hour work week which doesn’t leave much time for anything through the week. On the weekends I catch up on house work, sleep and maybe see a movie and that’s about it.    

I have recently started going to therapy again and she told me I should find a hobby and find groups of people to meet up with,though meeting in any kind of group is kind of like hell for me. On top of that I really don’t have anything that I am interested in at the moment. Most of the time I just feel pretty empty inside. I guess I have lost interest in most things over the years.

I Know I need to socialize more if I want to improve, and there has to be more to life than work and bills though I am not sure where to start?

Maybe I am

past the point of no return?    

Beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

128 Replies 128

Mares73
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi D it's Mares. So sorry been a while since I checked in to see how you are? Thankfully the wonderful Scott has been a great source of advice & friendship. I too am wondering how to get interested in life again and yes at our age it's hard unless your into the club scene which would probably be superficial. How are you feeling apart from money stress & no family support which I also relate to? Love Mares xx

Damaged
Community Member

Hey Mares. Great to hear from you.I hope you are doing ok. I know you have been though a lot.Yeah Scott has been great to me since I have been in here.The guy really knows what he is talking about.Its funny you mention the night club scene cause that was hard for me even when I was younger, though now would be impossible.lol

As far as how I am feeling about life in general?

I guess if I were to narrow it down, I am just bored. And still don't know how to fix it.

I guess I am after the spark that I see other people have when they come to work.

They are passionate about other things away from work that gets them through the day.

I still don't have anything like that in my life. Which is possibly my fault. Though its where I am at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for your post,great to hear from you. 

You take care of yourself dear. 

I hope to chat soon

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi D

I hope I'm not intruding here - you and Scott and Maresy are going great guns and there's been so many great posts back and forth.

Couple of things I'd like to raise/suggest, etc.

Firstly, I was a bit, um, concerned about you grabbing an old batch of meds and to start taking them.  Yes, I know they were yours anyway, but over time, things change, etc and it might have been good to get them checked out by either your GP or your pharmacist - not for their use by date or anything, but moreso of what they're designed for.  Oh boy, I'm going round in circles here and not getting to my point.  My point, what is it?  Oh yeah, your depression situation "just may have changed" so that the meds you're taking now, may not be the most suitable ones at this time. Phew, I finally got it all out - hope you didn't nod off during that.

Secondly - the other thing for getting them checked out, was that they were making you tired - which is all fine, as long as you're taking them at the right time of day.  I have two lots that I have to take about 30 minutes before my beddy time, cause they wind my body down and make me very sleepy.

With regard to interests, etc - a 39yo man about town of Sydney.  Are you into footy at all - NRL, AFL, other codes?   Gym?   Any kinds of sports/surfing?   Look, I'm just throwing out different suggestions - I guess, trying to get a bite.  🙂    But I guess also, with you working so many hours, it probably doesn't leave you "with" a lot of spare time for extra-curricular kinds of things.

Anyway, I'm pleased I've come on board D - and I hope that between yourself, Scott and Maresy, that you actually aren't AS damaged as you were when you first came here.  You've been in very good hands.

Kind regards

Neil

Damaged
Community Member

Hi Neil. Thanks for your input. I guess I should of gone to the gp before I started taking the meds again.I just wanted to feel a but better. I have been to the doctor since so all is good. Think I might start taking them at night though cause they still make me a bit tired when I take them in the morning.Thanks for the ideas regarding interests, I do like the NRL.I should try to go to a game some time,I live a stones throw from the local stadium. So guess I don't really have any excuse to not go.lol

I am feeling a bit better since when I first joined.I guess I am having fewer bad days lately. Though my bad days are still really bad.lol 

The people in here have been great and I am really thankful for the support.

Cheers.

D

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi D

Hey, that's great about the med thing and that you've been to your GP as well.  When you take them, do you feel kind of sleep about an hour later - if so, then yeah, try them at night time about an hour before you go to bed.  They certainly don't sound like the type to be taking of a morning.  Perhaps even try a google on them for possible side-effects - tiredness?

I really love my AFL and NRL - but I'm a long long way away from either of my teams' home ground - but if you're living just around the corner from a stadium then that's awesome.   You could go along and if you wear the colours of a certain club, it really is like you've got instantly thousands of friends - you see other people wearing the same colours and you know, you nod or grin at the other people, all like-minded people - supporting the one team.  You have no idea who these people are, but because you're there for a common goal, there is the very real opportunity for saying something to them to start up a conversation - if you so wished to.

Just a thought.

Great to hear back from you.

ps:  dunno what the weather is like where you are, but it's damn cold, wet and windy where I am, so if it's like that where you are - perhaps put off going till it's a nicer day.  🙂

Neil

Hi D

Hope you've enjoyed the weekend!  Glad Mares and Neil have dropped by - they're pretty much black belts on this site - legends!

Must tell you, feeling a bit sore myself!  I took up a new hobby this week - Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) & Ju Jitsu.  I've been wanting to try martial arts for a long time, but FINALLY took the plunge.  The guys & girls down at the centre I go to couldn't be more welcoming - I was pleasantly surprised at how welcoming everyone is - very social!

I got hooked watching MMA after seeing the first series on TV of The Ultimate Fighter - shows all the training and tactics that go into preparation & then the fights.  I'm not keen to fight anyone, but they break you in by just teaming you up with a more experienced person & ask you just to go for it.  Done one MMA class - learning how to punch & move, plus tackle people down to floor.  The Ju Jitsu is more grappling/wrestling but, even thought I'm about 120kg (yep-pretty unfit too!! ha ha) I've got no hope - getting thrown about like a rag doll & a bit bruised up!

Don't think I've been in an actual fight since about grade 3 in primary school so hope not need any of this in future, but it's pretty great fun so far.

Sorry I waffled on a bit - just excited - maybe we should get you in the dojo!! ha ha

One question for you - are you booked into GP again to have meds reviewed?  If you are still feeling your mood being down consistently, probably due for a review and possible change of meds/dosage.  Think it's been a couple of weeks now so should look to book in a review appt if you can

Hope you're doing ok

Chat soon

Scott

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear D, sorry I thought I would like to tag along on this post because it's part jovial and part serious.

With regards to NRL do you have or can you afford Foxtel where I think all the games are televised, which would enable you to watch your favorite team.

As for medication and tiredness well I'm a candidate for this, as it's always in my system and all I do is just top up, which does really annoy me, but I have no choice.

Scott I could imagine the soreness, aches and pains after doing Ju Jitsu, well I'm far from doing this now.

Neil have to gone back to gym yet or are too sore still.

It's great when a couple of people find a friendship and regular communication together, because it gives them some identity and they know that they will also have support, sorry to barge in like this. Geoff.

Mares73
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi D just wondering how your day went? Yeah living in Sydney near places like the great sports are held SCI there is so much street shopping & people say oh your so lucky to live right in the hub where sports are & markets etc  but I rarely know what to do with myself. I'm bored too and it's frustrating as its hard at times to be self motivated. I'm not working at the moment which gives me an opposite problem to you in some ways. Yet my career has always been in high pressure roles & I used to think gosh it would be great to not work. Yet reality is its lonely as most people work & unless you've got the money to fill you with a great lifestyle-many days I'm lost & lonely as to what to do with myself. Yesterday I thought I live so close to a big park yet I never think to go for a walk or take a book & hang out. It's very easy to get sacked into staying home unmotivated & then feeling like a lower for not doing anything. Hey what's the latest with your medication? There's so many types. I take an SRNI and it took years to find one that was ok. Do you have any hobbies? I grew up with such a strong work ethic & never had toys or things to play so I've struggled with finding what I like. People ask me what I like doing and apart from reading all I want lately is a hug & to know one day I'll know what happiness feels like. Sorry-ive selfishly talked about me. Really I wanted to say you are in my thoughts & I hope your managing. Let me know how your travelling? Love Mares x

Damaged
Community Member

Hi Geoff. Thanks for your post and feel free to barge in. I cant really afford Foxtel at the moment, though It would be great.

Hey Scott. Wow sounds like you have been busy. I imagine MMA would be quite a work out. I don't think I would be much of a opponent. lol

About my meds. I think it could be a good idea to go back to the doc. I am still a bit up and down as far as mood goes.

My work place is making things seem totally helpless right now.

Today they denied my request to work less hours and made me go to a meeting where they just criticized me for a bunch of petty things, and used that as a reason for not letting me work a shorter day.

I'm just sick of it. I think its time to leave.The problem I have is I have to give 1 months notice so it will make it hard for me to have another job to go to.

Sorry for the down post, hopefully I will feel a bit better tomorrow. 

I hate Mondays

Damaged
Community Member

Hey Mares. Sorry just noticed your post after I had replied. Great to here from you. As you can see above I haven't had the greatest day.I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. So I know where you are coming from. Right now I am still very unsure of the future. I just want to be happy you know. I would like to write more though I have got to get started on dinner. I am totaly starving right now.:)

Take care. Hope to here from you soon.

D