FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling over whelmed

Whysosad
Community Member
Hi, moved in to a new place following eviction because my partner lost his job. Because being evicted finding somewhere else was very hard. I know I should be happy to have a place but I really feel bad here. The landlord is in the back of the house which has been blocked off, so blocked off windows, it's so dark. There is no curtains or heating, no airial for tv, blocked sink and bath. I don't want to be here, stuff is everywhere from moving, just the thought of unpacking is too much.I just want to run but nowhere to go.
11 Replies 11

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Whysosad,

Wow I can't imagine having to live in a house with no windows.

Can totally see why that and all of the other details you mentioned would have you so down right now.

Has your partner had any luck job hunting? Are you working or stuck at home? I imagine it would be extremely difficult to be at home during the day especially.

I don't really have any suggestions I'm sorry, just wanted to say someone is listening and thinking of you.

Hopefully your situation improves soon and you can find somewhere else to live.

Nat

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Whysosad Thankyou for your post and welcome,

Im sorry your partner lost his job and you were evicted that must be hard
You are allowed to be grateful and unhappy at the same time, grateful you found a place but unhappy with the state of it

Having the landlord around all the time must be so stressful, let alone a lot of basic home features missing I hope this is only a temporary accommodation
I understand how you are feeling, just take it day by day.

Have you made a plan of your next steps? it may make you feel better knowing this is only temporary

Also have you spoken to anyone about this?
If you would like to talk to someone, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport 
One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support,

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Whysosad,

Im sorry this has happened to you it must be really difficult.

I hope your husband has been able to find a new job.

Can you keep looking around to find something more suitable?

Hang in there things will improve

41singleBNE
Community Member

Doesn't sound like a very warm or welcoming environment. Hopefully you can add some personal touches to soften it up. Indoor plants, ornaments - maybe approach your landlord and see if they will let you use non marking wall hangers. 3M branded ones are great.

I get it with feeling overwhelmed. Like there's just too much you need to accomplish, and you don't have the energy, time, or motivation to do any of it.

You can't eat an elephant in one bite. What doesn't get done today can wait, it just doesn't matter. If you find yourself sitting head in hands wondering what to do, take a break. Go outside, read a book in a nice shady park.

What needs doing will get done eventually, and then it won't matter.

Hope this has helped.

Ian.

Whysosad
Community Member
Thankyou for all your kind words and for taking the time to read and reply to my post. It helps knowing that caring people are out there. God bless you.

Hi Whysosad,

I'm very sorry to hear that you have been going through this. That sounds incredibly challenging.

I really like the idea of adding little pieces of things that make you happy to make the space seem more like yours. Is this something you would be open to doing?

How are you doing the past few days?

We are definitely here for you

YorkeYorke
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Sorry to hear of your eviction and current living arrangements. It sounds less than ideal and you are doing so well pushing through over the last few days.

I agree with 41singleBNE about being kind to yourself and taking breaks because it may not change overnight but one day it will. I also agree with an earlier post that said if there are any steps you can plan towards a better place or even improving the one you're in, it may help knowing the current conditions are temporary.

Whatever happens you and your partner have shown plenty of resilience to find a place and get through this challenging time. Please do keep us posted.

Yorke

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Whysosad, and hope you are still reading your replies.

In Vic, the landlord has to provide curtains where applicable and make sure that ' heating, aerial for tv, cooling and hot water service is provided and in working order and that there is no blocked sink and/or bath, these are the rules stipulated by Consumer Affairs, and if any of these aren't in satisfactory order, they need to be fixed immediately.

The landlord has to give you a reason why they are in your backyard and notice must be given, they can't just walk in at their own convenience, if they do then contact the real estate.

They expect the rent to be paid but they also have to respect your privacy and when none of the above aren't working then contact the estate agent, by law they have to.

Geoff.

Whysosad
Community Member
Hi, when I wake up I am immediately hit with anxiety and dread. I try to stay asleep as long as I can. Everyday is the same, bored and lonely. I am trying to stop using heroin but partner does not want to stop. This is the 11 th move in 20 years together (house) I stay with him out of fear. Being totally alone, and I am on unemployment benefits so can't afford to live alone. My life sucks and I don't know how to change. I think about death a lot but I am a coward to act on it. Everything is an effort, even having a shower seems like a mammoth event. Been sleeping in my clothes, I feel so lost.