FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Extreme Anger Problems

CherryBerry
Community Member

I’m not so sure where to write this, so I hope here is okay.

For quite a while now, I have been having awful, uncontrollable anger surges. It happens at random times of the day, and It’s just been getting more and more common.

I’ll use what just happened around 20 minutes ago as an example. When I get angry, i find everything extremely annoying. I just want to break everything, but I urge not too which just makes me more angry. I have very violent thoughts when I see my family or my pets. I want to scream and just hit something. I feel super uncomfortable and I shake a lot. This can late for up to 30 minutes, where at some point I’ll start to break down crying; as if it’s some sudden switch. It’s becoming an issue at school and I excuse myself to the bathroom to do some meditation to calm down (which works in school, but it doesn’t stop me from feeling this way at all and sometimes I can’t even meditate because I become so restless). Then after some time it’s just stops. Almost every time I forget how it just stops but it does, and it’s fine again.
Almost all of the time my anger just doesn’t feel as though it has a purpose. A lot of the time it’s not even because things aren’t going my way or anything, it’s just sudden. Sometimes, though, I can start to feel this way at the thought of my personality. I’m quite submissive and hate being told off, so lots of people took advantage and of that and I just wish I weren’t so hurt by what people say or do.

my mother says it’s my hormones, and it could be, but I’m not so sure if it is.

i have been diagnosed with depression, ADD and social anxiety, so maybe it could be connected to any of these.

my main point of my post is just to talk about this to at least someone. And I would also like some advice of what to do. I hate feeling this way and I feel like it’s getting in the way of doing things normally.

thank you for reading

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear CherryBerry

Welcome to the forums CherryBerry and thank you for posting this evening and sharing your experience of anger problems, and in particular how this is impacting on what you refer to as your normal.

We wonder if you are engaged with a psychologist or any other health professional CherryBerry?  As you know anger problems and emotional outbursts in people with ADD are often explained by mood disorders such as anxiety or depression.  There are a number of treatment approaches that are utilized by for example psychologists, including cognitive behavioural therapy, counselling, medication, even diet and meditation (which you are already using at school, so great work here!).

We are glad you reached out to talk to someone hopefully, one who is experiencing or has experienced similar to you; in the meantime CherryBerry, please know that if you ever need to talk or chat, we are always here for you, just contact our trained counsellors on 1300 22 4636 or via WebChat.  We’re sure we’ll hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon.  

Please be kind to yourself and thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello CherryBerry, people react differently when if for some reason they are struggliung with any type of depression which they might not realise they are suffering from, because being at school, your life is constantly changing as you develop into an adult with asking yourself many questions which can't really be answered and even if you can, your friends could quite easily convince you otherwise.

That's a reason why you can become perplexed, while other people decide not to talk or perhaps want to keep to themselves, you have choosen this way.

You can also contact Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 by phone, web chat or online, but if you want, please keep in contact with us.

Geoff.

Life Member.

On The Road
Community Member

Hi, CherryBerry🙂

thanks for sharing your struggle regarding the anger outburst problem, which already has an impact on your school life and your family. I'm sorry that you are feeling this way. 😔 

I agree with Sophie that these anger issues are triggered by anxiety, and depression, especially in someone with ADD, and we encourage you to see a counsellor in school who may offer some approaches.

I can relate to you somehow because I am also submissive and sensitive to being told off. there were some occasions I felt like I was in fume. While it is difficult to manage them because we live in a place where it's full of triggers, you did great as you managed to keep to yourself and use meditation. Besides managing anger problems, I would suggest focusing on social anxiety as well, it's not our fault that we feel hurt and angry when ppl treat us like this, but we may learn some better responses, both external and internal, that can help ourselves in the likes of this situation and feel better. I wonder if you've contacted Headspace? They may give you some help. 

Please be kind to yourself, it takes time and effort to work on this. Feel free to share more we are here to listen🙂