FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression from career

bit-lost
Community Member

I thought I'd post here because I am completely lost. I've been going to therapy, taking antidepressants and I think they have helped me to the extent they can. I've tried lifestyle changes which just don't work out for one reason or another, and I am deflated, hopeless and completely lost. I don't know if depression is fuelling my unhappiness at work or if work is the cause of the depression but it makes it hard to function properly. Long story short, I lived a fast-paced corporate life pretty much as soon as I graduated high school. High achiever, always pushing myself, working full-time, studying full-time, maintaining a ridiculously high GPA. I spent 8 years of my life like this, and fitting myself to the mould. I knew the type of person employers wanted, I knew how to behave, what goals to set... I set myself up for a high-paying, successful career and always had a good income. Well, that crashed and burned badly. I suffered severe burnout. I left that life because my body just gave up on me. All before the age of 25. After time off, I looked for work outside that high-pressure, all-hours sphere. But ever since, I have been completely lost. Before all this, I never worried about what I would eat or how I would pay the psychologist/GP. Before the burnout, I actually enjoyed what I did. I was working on complex work and had ownership of tasks. Since coming back to work, I have bounced from job to job, miserable in everything I have done. We struggle with money now. I feel myself going around in circles every time I look for another job. Everything I am qualified to do does not interest me, and I will probably just be miserable. Things that interest me either won't pay the bills or I am unqualified for. I have tried going back to study twice and dropped out twice because I am still too burnt out to take on more study. I just can't cope with it. So I am at a complete loss because finding other jobs in my (corporate) field doesn't seem to help. It is just not the right field that I studied, and I wish teenage, people-pleaser me knew that. My unhappiness/lack of motivation/lack of inspiration with what I do everyday is starting to impact other things, affect my partner, my relationship, libido long gone, I don't have motivation to gym, and only sometimes do I have the energy to apply for jobs that seem half decent that I am qualified for. Those jobs tick some boxes, but even then don't appeal to me. Words of wisdom much appreciated!

10 Replies 10

David35
Community Member

Having a hobby, something to look forward to on the weekend will help you get through the week. More importantly, it will help destress you until you figure out what to do with your career. It's better to make choices with an unclutterred mind. It might also give you the some self-worth in the meantime.