FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Chronic pain and depression

Musiclover10
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I am in a world of pain right now. Both physically and emotionally/psychologically. I have been experiencing physical pain for almost 2 months nonstop now. One of the issues has been jaw pain from a TMJ condition, which flares up every now and then. The pain has been ongoing and I feel it has led me to symptoms of anxiety and depression, which is now causing me to doubt and question everything. Including my new relationship. Just a couple of months ago, I was feeling happier than I ever have, so confident and so sure and on top of things. Now I feel the opposite. I have overcome depression many times before, but it just feels so hard this time as I am dealing with physical pain as well. I welcome any suggestions or insights as I am really struggling to get on top of it. Thank you

5 Replies 5

amberlite
Community Member
Hello M, really awful to read that your pain is so bad, I have experienced pain and I think it takes me to the edge and that when I am on edge I make crappy choices. So try hard to put off any important thinking until the pain reduces. What is a tmj condition? I am 48 and have had off on pain for ages and a trick that sometimes works for me- is to touch and massage the opposite area of where the pain is- example if pain is shooting down the left side of my face then I will softly massage down the right side of my face. This helps me to focus on the better side and I focus on how even during pain I can find something pleasant. This is a gem and it took me years to find out- so I hope it gives you some relieve. Bye

I have also found focusing on the opposite side of the pain can help…it’s like my body on the left (pain) learns from the right how to relax. Research shows an opposite bicep increases in size by simply working one

Hi Serenity22,

There’s a book by Peter Levine and Maggie Phillips called Freedom From Pain. One of the things it works with is being able to sense a part of the body that is not in pain, however small it might be, and then expanding that sense throughout the body. I just thought I’d mention it in case it is helpful.

I have also discovered that working on the opposite side of the pain can help reduce it. I even discovered that head massages helped my foot or hip pain. Often, the more I focus on the area of pain to cure….the worse it would get. I understand it as the painful area has forgotten how to feel good and relax. It sort of tricks your body into copying the other side. 

Thanks ER. That’s interesting and thoughtful of you. I have done that mind technique, although I’ve not read his book.