FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Being made redundant at 50

Only_the_lonely
Community Member

After six years working for a social housing firm, I have been advised last week that my position is made redundant. I was not consulted about this and following week they have taken my user access to the computer. I work remotely from home so I contacted my supervisor via text message. She advised me that they are giving me this week off to find work so login has been suspended. So having a positive approach, I have commenced applying for jobs during the time, but I cannot believe how they are treating me. To add to that, my supervisor advised me to keep the matter hush, hush!

I have given my heart and soul to the organisation and I was the person responsible for transitioning the office from paper based to and electronic environment, trained staff, wrote business policies and procedures for management and even visited our remote offices and made lunches for staff members. Actually my general manager had a military background and he strongly believed in having meals together as a troop. Lucky for my limited cooking skills and access to a stove in the kitchen, I was able to knock out something for the staff. I feel disappointed on my bosses not to involve me in the process, let alone advise staff of possible restructure / job losses for staff.

I feel let down by my boss but I place my trust in God that he will help me. I have a million dollor loan on my head and my wife works part-time to take care of our two girls.

I feel unvalued as my bosses did not consult me. A letter outlining redundancy did not reflect on my performance, but lack of funding from Government office, but still I feel staff should have been notified. No doubt the managers knew how they were performing and that a lack of performance on their part would put the company's prospects at risk. From where I stood, I continued to give my 110% to my work commitments and assisted staff where possible.

I never envisaged that I would be treated this way by the organisation I helped so much. I think staff loyality is not longer prevalent in society today. The days of staying in a job until you retired are long gone! Any advise you can suggest please!!

10 Replies 10

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Only the lonely~

You have been treated in a most unappreciated and de-humanizing manner and it would be very hard to come to terms with, and that is quite apart from the practical difficulties of finances, identity, structure and the horrible job seeking occupation.

In short it is a reflection on your ex-firm and it's management. Sadly the world does have selfish short sighted people.

I had been in a situation years ago where the actions of the hierarchy left me invalided out on MH grounds, and too had put my heart and soul into my work.

To start with it was exceedingly hard not to simply be bitter at the shoddy treatment. I expected - as you did -to receive the same treatment, acknowledgement and professionalism as I gave. Sadly not the case, an unfeeling bureaucracy simply moved on. My only consolation, such as it was, was that others were in the same boat, it was not just me.

It is only years late I have come to recognize the things I did were worth-while in themselves. You efforts may well have smoothed the path for those in difficulties and made their lives easier. You office improvements, training and all the rest would have made a big difference, and - as I have found - those skills have reemerged later on to be put to good use in subsequent occupations.

I understand you have partner who has helped the the financial load in the past. I found mine was an enormous emotional and practical support when I became ill, was unemployed and things were generally very difficult . I would expect by now you have related the news to your wife, may I ask what her feelings on all this are?

As for keeping matters hush hush, I do not see you need feel any loyalty in the matter, and if it serves your purpose to speak frankly about the matter to do so. The only good thing is your supplied reason for termination was one that you could not be reasonably expected to control, so no reflection on you.

I'd have to say not all organizations are like this, though it wold be fair to as all are mixed to some extent.

May I make a suggestion? Now that you are back in that rather toxic environment of job-seeking that you try to minimize its effects on your life. It can so easily become overwhelming and discouraging, leading to failings in self-worth. Please try to divide your day, maybe mornings devoted to that , then the rest of the day on complete separate -and hopefully enjoyable and distracting pursuits?

Please let us know how you get on

Croix

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Only the lonely,

I have just read Croix's very supportive post, so I will try not to repeat his helpful suggestions.

I do find it hard to understand than an organisation that you worked for that would have as it mission to help others was not helpful or showed much understanding to you.

I can feel your sadness and great disappointment in your words after you spent so many years putting all your energy into your job.

I agree with Croixs suggestion about how what to do now.

I also wonder is there some hobby or something you like doing even reading or walking that you can do that will help you stay well and healthy.

Quirky

Hello Croix,

Thanks for your reassuring words. So far, I am the only staff that has been shown the door. Anyway, I will take your advice on board and take it one day at a time. Its getting hard to find full time position as many jobs are temporary or contract work for a few years and I worry how the next generation will gain employment and sustain to purchase a suitable place they can call home. Nevertheless, I will keep applying for jobs and will take some time out to relax and focus on my hobbies.

I am old school so holding a job is absolutely imperative for me. I cannot comprehend working part-time whilst I have to mortgage on my head as It would not be possible to sustain current financial trends / loan commitments.

My wife is very supportive and is already making plans for saving money by restricting spending on outings.

She works for the bank so she is very good with money so that is reassuring for me. Thank you for your reassurance and good advice, Croix!

Dear Only the lonely~

I'm very glad your wife is supportive, it makes the world of difference not to feel one has the whole burden by oneself.

You are right, there are many P/T or contract jobs in proportion to what there used to be. Even so they are something and may well be a stepping stone to other more permanent things, staving off the worst of financial problems in the meantime.

You do what you can.

Croix

Hello OnlytL,

I am sorry this is happening to you. You are clearly very wise and a practical person which will surely help you in your job search. Your insights about the current and future state of jobs/searching are very accurate – I have been searching for some time now and can attest to being chronically underemployed.

Your bosses methods do seem quite cold, and it’s disturbing to hear stories like this but Croix has offered you good advice, and it sounds like you have some decent family emotional support behind you at the moment. Don’t be afraid to lean on them and let them know you’re needing them a lot right now through this challenging period. And you have your faith which has also supported me throughout.

Speaking of support, I’ve found it tremendously helpful to reach out to other here on the forums, to both offer and receive support because searching can be very isolating. You’re welcome to search unemployed, depressed! to see others in the same boat here. I’ve also used this time to attend to health issues that I haven’t addressed (anxiety), made good progress, and also am doing a free online course to improve computer skills whilst searching.

Kindest to you, Bluey

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi only the lonely,

You have given so much of yourself for a company and have been made redundant in the blink of an eye - it‘a hard not to feel used and unappreciated. I am seeing a similar thing now with a colleague of mine who has recently handed in their resignation (for another job). He has worked for our company for 10+ years, has many close friends and just felt overworked and under appreciated so wanted something less stressful. Since he gave his notice, he has been treated like an outcast by the company (including his friends), no farewell gift or well wishes, nothing. The thing that I’m trying to get at is that, sadly, companies do a very good job of making you feel valued and appreciated. So that you will do their bidding for them with a minimum of complaint. However, once they don’t need you anymore, you have served your purpose and are expendable. Not all companies are like this but many are. My sister is constantly getting stressed out and worked up by work and lets workplace politics get to her and I try and tell her that it’s honestly not worth it, because they aren’t giving a second thought about you. I think you need to look after yourself, make sure you get your entitlements, and chalk this one up as a hard lesson.

DannyG
Community Member

Dear only the lonely

ive wanted to reply to your post as soon as I saw it. I feel that I can understand your frustration and sadness. I am in a very similar situation to you- after 8 years I lost my job. Like you I put my heart and soul into it, I loved it so much. I thought I would be there for the rest of my working life.

As you said in your post I never thought I would be treated that way, my work was like my second home. Also like you I cannot bear not working, I know it is great for some people but , it is not for me.

so I am with you - in the disappointment, the sadness, the sense of loss. Like you I trust/hoPe that I have been put in this Situation so something greater can replace it.

wishing you great things to come.

Hello there everyone.

Thank you for your kind words and supporting information. I have applied for nearly 20 jobs in two weeks. I have also seen a trend in jobs being advertised at recruitment agencies as their point of contact. Sometimes this is not the case and to add to the uncertainty, there is no figure of pay or the anticipated closing date of the job. Consequently I can apply all I want without knowing when the position will be received, examined, culled and interviews conducted. Some jobs clearly states that only the successful applicants will be contacted so the current trend is 'no news is bad news!' Anyway, I will keep applying for jobs and remain positive. I know there are many in worst situation then me and I have some money left for rainy days like this period. Wifey suggested to go on holidays but I advised her that I cannot spend few thousands knowing I don't have a job yet and with kids as well so I will not do that. I don't rely on family for any support as they only think I got paid my entitlements so its all about money for them, but having a job gives me the sense of being worth something, being able to achieve a goal at the end of the day, working with people, attending meetings, reviewing current work ethics and suggesting new methods to enhance service delivery. Work gives you a good feeling when you enjoy what you do. Anyway, thank you once again everyone for your valuable response. I do appreciate all of them. Thank you and I hope you are all going well and take care of your health by thinking positive thoughts and be happy of what you have and who you have in life around you at this moment.

No doubt anther door will open when one closes. God has already designed your life and he knows where we are all heading. Thank you Jesus!

Beyond50
Community Member
Dear Only the lonely, As I process my news of redundancy and hopelessness, I search on google for ways to distract my mind and sad heart of the situation and up pops your post. As I read through it, it was as though God was talking to me via you. An almost replica situation - 6 years, hard working, implemented many policies and procedures, passionate and love what I do, thought I would be there till I retire. All fell apart. I am disillusioned and feeling lost. Those that work hard lose their jobs and bad managers are still there with a fake facade that they care and act as though they know it all. I know this sounds bitter but is the truth that I speak. Maybe this is one of those traits that I was penalised for - I strongly believe in speaking up about what is wrong but bullies seem to always win. I feel so sad too because I am also supporting a sibling that is very poor in a 3rd world country and has been out of a job for 6 months. I have often felt guilty that I received more blessings than him. I give so generously to those who need it and never expect any back. I am the sort that silently prays when an ambulance goes past and always in my prayers asks that he gives to those more needy than me. I do have to believe though that if I was silently praying and up pops your post which is almost identical, then God really is talking to me. I am not alone. I just pray he shows us both the path that is meant for us. Today all I ask for is that I have just enough... enough love, enough happiness, enough to help others and enough to get me through. I wish the same for you.