FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anyone else watching "Old People's Home For Teenagers"?

Waffle-
Community Member

There's a show on ABC/iview about old people and teenagers doing activities together and getting to know each other. It has a heavy emphasis on loneliness and how that affects both age groups. 

I'm not elderly or a teenager, but watching the show has had a big impact on me. I've only watched the first 2 episodes but both of them made me cry. I relate to the struggles of the participants and it's made me reflect on my own feelings of isolation.

Is anyone else watching the show? I'd be really interested to hear other people's thoughts on it.

(I wasn't sure where to post this, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. Feels too heavy for the social section and too lighthearted for the depression section...)

5 Replies 5

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Waffle, I haven't seen the program but realise it would have been very upsetting for you, I do know that visiting my dear Mum when she was alive, in a nursing was very upsetting for me, because to see her sitting in a wheelchair unable to walk and having to feed her was most disturbing.

She was my Mum, but to see her like this was not something I was ready to cope with, because it happened so quickly and I wasn't prepared for it.

I have, however, been to other nursing homes to visit an elderly friend, who I was once looking after, and witnessed younger people trying to converse with older people and to see this is very upsetting, so I understand what you are saying, and yes, to see this would be distressing.

Geoff.

Life Member.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Waffle, I watched the "Old people's home for toddlers series", then a few episodes of the teens one, yes I cried too! 
Tears of happiness and GRATITUDE! 

To see just how much the toddlers and their parents LOVED the people they visited and how much JOY seeing these little people bobbing around dancing and entertaining the residents. Everyone clapping for them and the little ones SHINING. Adoration both ways. LOVED IT. 
THEN in lock down how the OP learnt how to Zoom with the toddlers! Wow that was absolutely gorgeous. 

I was so fortunate to have this as a child and teenager. Lots of older relatives. VERY close extended family. Always some one to talk to and people who loved me (when this contact was "allowed"). 
I could be sad that my own children haven't had this. They say "we don't miss it, so we can't be sad about something we didn't have". Their experiences with "older people" are abusive so they don't want contact with any of them. 
Case solved for me lol. 

I think these connections are SO important for humans in different stages of life. 
We are tribal in nature and are "hard wired for connection" as Brene Brown says. 

Has this series brought up "stuff" for you? 
Or has it made you cry tears of happiness and gratitude like mine were? 

Hugs, 
EM

Waffle-
Community Member

Geoff:

That's rough. Sorry to hear about your mum. It's not something I feel prepared for myself.

As for the show, I wouldn't call it distressing, it's more uplifting than anything. The elderly participants are still independent and able to take care of themselves, the show is about them feeling lonely.

EM:

That's really sweet. I haven't watched the toddlers one, but I'm sure it must be similar.

For me it's emotional because it shows that other people, young and old, are struggling with the same feelings of loneliness that I have. I'm happy for the participants being able to learn and build their confidence. But it also gives me a sense of hope knowing that I'm not alone, in a sense. 

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

waffle 

thanks for this topic. I really like this program and tbe one with four year olds. 
i am a senior now but as a teenager I was lonely and awkward long before covid. 
so e of the activities to me seem a bit forced but the loneliness do many feel is apparent in the program. 
I hope people start reaching out to connect with people of all ages. 
I find the program moving and inspiring. 
Thanks waffle. 

123cats
Community Member

Hi 👋 

I flicked over the TV the other night and an episode of this was on. It is particularly touching and I ended up having a few tears as well for older polish lady on there... she was desperate for the teens family she is coupled up with to want to see her after the experiment because she has no family ... her husband had passed and O think her only child, a son had passed. My heart broke for her.

Cheers D x