FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What would you do to change Australia's Future?

cndy
Community Member
What are your thoughts and feelings of where the Australian Future is heading, and what would you do as both individuals and groups help change that Future for the better. 
5 Replies 5

Ellie05
Community Member

Hi Cndy,

What an interesting question. I'd like to see Australia become more welcoming of asylum seekers. It breaks my heart to see the hatred and vitriol that gets directed towards these people who are literally running for their lives. We're a country built on immigration who are facing an ageing population. I don't see what the hysteria is all about when surely we can afford to take on a few more?

As to what I can do as an Individual to help change this? I honestly don't know.

_NaturalTalent_
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Personally I'd love to see the country wake up and turn its eyes to our own local homeless, sick and starving everywhere! Who sends OUR people in need money and provides shelter? Think I'm wrong? I'll give you two monumental facts to rock your boat...

1: Actually research your nearest or favoured charities and support centres, dig deep and found out where the money is REALLY going!! 2: If we sort ourselves out a bit more, there's more potential to help other people and countries, teach a man to fish don't just give him one!

Say you give a dollar a week to a charity right? Where does it go? well for starters mostly on the electricity bills and staff wages they pay for your privilege to donate, so like, your one dollar is gone....

Now, say you give a dollar a week to a local homeless nearby you (And believe me there WILL be one, there are hundreds in Adelaide alone) they can turn that one dollar into a night or 2 of meals (So could you if you had to) maybe even enough to keep a small pet/friend. You may think its a waste or nothing to him at the time, but you know maybe the next 10 cans he collects goes towards some more food, that he wouldn't have had, and when he gets another dollar and still has some food, he might buy a new pair of socks or something, or be able to hold onto it, to save it.. Eventually he can afford to splurge on a pack of razors and soap, he cleans up and is feeling a bit better about himself, manages to find a trolley pushing job or maybe even night fill at a supermarket...

All of a sudden, you ACTUALLY DID change someone's life with one dollar, and now, there's 2 people giving some homeless guy a dollar a week, its only a matter of time before their on their feet too and doing the same thing! No homeless guy would get on his feet and start donating a dollar to Africa or something because he knows what it can legitimately do for someone nearby.

Australian pride is what is ageing...

It was once tradition to help your neighbours, look out for one another.

Not put all your resources into leaving town to find someone to help...

In saying all that, I really do apologise that my views of helping the homeless and dying on your local streets is SO mean spirited...

I agree with what you say. It might be nice if we noticed who we're stepping on or over as we search for a world to save. Philip.