FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Very Depressed - Islamic Terrorism

Guy40s
Community Member

I am very depressed and concerned by what is happening in our world thanks to Islamic terror groups and Wahhabism. 

I am extremely alarmed at what I see happening in Iraq with regards to ISIS.

What is occurring in our world today is unacceptable and it saddens me deeply. 

Tears in my eyes when I look at my 2 year old daughter. It upsets me to think of what her generation might inherit in her world. It breaks my heart to watch the news.

The worlds people must unite and stop this immensely anti-social and in humane belief system which is robbing humanity of freedom and diginity.

I am troubled, concerned and worried. Sadness consumes me daily. 

I keep thinking of the quote "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." I haven't seen any good men yet.

19 Replies 19

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Guy

Welcome to Beyond Blue and thank you for coming here and providing your post.

And boy, yes, you've picked a tough topic and issue.  It's like big boys having to play with their big toys and to show the other that I'm better.  So if you do that, I'm gonna do THIS.  There take that!!   And what's it all for?   Senseless destruction and pointless attacks and the very real occurance of loss of lives.  And for what??

But the thing is Guy, these kinds of things have gone on for eons - it's just now they've got better technology and what were once spears and clubs are now replaced with - well, whatever it is they have nowadays.

To be honest, I really don't know what Joe Average can do about it.  The powers that be won't listen to sense - won't take a step back and think - hey, if we do this, I just wonder what the world will be like in, 50 or 100 years from now?  They don't appear to do that.

All I think we can do is to love all those around us and keep doing part of what your quote said.  We be good men.  🙂

Neil

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Guy,

I completely get where you're coming from. After just spending a week in Asia the only thing on their news is the horrors of Iraq, Gaza, and the Ebola outbreak in Africa.

I agree with Neil that there isn't much we can do on an individual level except rise above what's happening in society and aim to be more humane, dignified, fair, and educated humans. In terms of your daughter I think if you are able to show her what real love is, the difference between right and wrong, and all the good things this world has to offer she will be off to a very good start.

Neil's right war and poverty, extremism, and antisemeticism have been around for generations. We must not forget how lucky we are to live in a country where we have just about every luxury one could ever ask for, and most importantly the right to freedom.

Thanks for raising the issue, it's important to bring awareness to such horrific events. It can completely capture you though, and sometimes I think you just have to let go of what you see in the media, and just be grateful for what you have.

AGrace

HelenM
Community Member

Hi Guy,

Many years ago we didn't know what was going on in the world. Wars were fought and because we didn't have the communication we have today we only knew of the wars that affected our country and even then we only knew a limited amount. 

I am like you though. I become very upset about the state of the world. Not just fighting but the environment and cruelty shown to animals. What I remind myself though is that if I'd lived thirty or forty years earlier I wouldn't have received the excellent psychiatric help. I would probably be in one of the large out of the way hospitals we have in Britain and living with the shame of depression. There are lots of things that have improved a great deal.

But yes. I fully understand. My husband and I both say how awful we find the world. My kids are grown up but I have twin grandsons of two. I try not to think of what they will inherit.

As the others say, all you can do is care and do good within your life.

Helen

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I agree with Helen, in fact I stopped buying the newspaper years ago for this very reason: all the content is depressing. The news media is so hyper focused on the bad stuff that happens in the world, that it struggles to find any space to celebrate the good stuff.

I recall with Steven Bradbury's Olympic gold medal win, Australia's first ever winter gold medal, the news media opted to have some scandal story about the PM on the front page (because they prefer depressive news) and then had a small side note single column for the gold medal in the sports section. It was this event that highlighted to me that I should avoid buying newspapers altogether.

Today, I avoid most all forms of news media. I figure if its something cataclysmic there will be constant interrupts on the radio and everyone will be talking about it. So no real need to watch it, read it, hear it in the first place.

--

I come from the Christian faith, but I wonder: who is terrorizing who? If I were to put myself in the cities of the old Ottoman Empire, would I not feel terrorized by the constant threat of bombs coming from the West? Would I not want my government, my militia and my people to rise up against them?

It is easy to blame the other person, but then "who are we to point out the speck in their eye, when we cannot see the log in our own?" Perhaps the world would be a better place if we could all do as Christ teaches and turn the other cheek?

D' 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Guy, thanks for raising this, well awful topic, but it's something that goes on around the world, and all the above replies I have to agree with.

Why do mostly men have to have total dominance and control over what they want in life, and let nothing stand in their way, families, children, groups and societies all in the endeavour to be number one, because not only does it kill millions of people they also suffer from sanctions.

It's deplorable it goes on, and look at the Gaza, what else do they have to bomb and how many more lives have to be lost, all in the quest for control, but we can't unfortunately do much, it's the politicians that make these decisions and won't listen to the average chap who refute their decisions.

Unfortunately we can't deny and probably never will what Albert Einstein said 'So long as there are men there will be wars', which is a sad and sickly feeling.

Politicians will never learn what a ghastly mess it leaves us in, but do they care, no they don't, all to be number one. Geoff.

Magyarok
Community Member

Hello Guy,

Thankyou for raising this difficult topic.  Yes there are some abhorrent happenings in the world at present which are deeply concerning and i do worry about the world our children will inherit.  I agree with comments made from the other respondents.

We also have to remember that these extremist terrorists groups are exactly that they are extremists and their views are not representative of the groups or religions they claim to represent.  These groups only represent and serve their own self interests at the detriment of their own people and of course others.

I am certain that the average person within these war zones or as refugees who have fled from these areas do not wish for this.  They have similar aspirations to us in that they wish to live in peace, raise a family, go to work and own a house etc and they do not support the views of these extremist groups who claim to represent them.

I have muslim friends who are horrified and saddened by what is going on and they certainly do not support the views of these terrorist groups.  I feel for these people who have been victimized and marginalised just because of their faith as a result of these terrorist groups who claim to represent them.

Marginalisation of a group of people because of their faith, race etc results in anger and resentment within these groups which leads to the radicalisation of some of those within those groups and then so the cycle of 'hate' continues.  Media and politics has a lot to do with this and has a lot to answer for.

I think the best thing we can do as individuals and what we can teach our children is to be more accepting of others and not to discriminate against others because of their faith, race etc which leads to marginalisation and therefore 'hate'.  Hopefully this can make a difference?

I hope this makes sense?  It is a very difficult topic to comment on.

All the Best

ignoP   

Thank you for your comment. You say 'Perhaps the world would be a better place if we could all do as Christ teaches and turn the other cheek?' .. does Jesus say that? I would be most interested to read that section of you could further clarify?

Guy40s
Community Member

Thank you for your comment.

ignoP said:

I have muslim friends who are horrified and saddened by what is going on and they certainly do not support the views of these terrorist groups.  I feel for these people who have been victimized and marginalised just because of their faith as a result of these terrorist groups who claim to represent them.

I don't know any Muslims, perhaps I need to find a Muslim friend for reassurance. I have searched for condemnation of ISIS from Muslim leaders (and the general Muslim community) but have not found anything convincing.

I know that if I was associated with a belief system that was causing such innocent bloodshed in the world, I would either abandon it or condemn it as loudly as possible for all the world to hear. I would perhaps even find purpose and responsibility to help deal with the problem. 

I must admit, I see Muslims in the community and I wonder how they are feeling because their religion appears to be hijacked and seemingly being used to justify such horrific acts.

Surely the Muslim youth in Australia, let alone around the world could use a strong Islamic leader around about now to guide them away from these extreme ideologies? 

It's like the Christian world has the Pope. The world knows he speaks globally for Christians. Is there an equivalent for Islam?

Guy40s
Community Member
HelenM said:

Many years ago we didn't know what was going on in the world. Wars were fought and because we didn't have the communication we have today we only knew of the wars that affected our country and even then we only knew a limited amount. 

Thanks Helen. Yes I have thought the same. Man has always fought wars against and we have never had so much technology in the past as we do now. Today, social media and the internet bring war to our breakfast tables. It is also used to influence and recruit people who would perhaps otherwise would have lived in peace.

My father tells me to switch off the news. There's nothing I can do about things anyway. On one hand yes that's true, but on the other I think about what if it was me? I would not like to think people were switching off and burying their heads in the sand if I was the one suffering and needing help.

Anyway, I very much appreciate your comments, thank you.