FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Movies that you enjoy ...

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi all

As a result of a little posting between myself and Matty, I've decided to create this thread.  It's something that so many of us could contribute to ... and there's no right or wrong answer or suggestion ... there's no-one judging, but hopefully it will be just a little bit of a distraction for all us (even if for a short time).  And if anyone would like to give a little reason for the movie they suggest, then GO FOR IT.

Also, don't hold back at just one ... so post away and post often.

For starters, I have 3 movies that all begin with the letter S that I really enjoy (although one really begins with the letter T):

Sea Of Love (Al Pacino and the big funny guy, who I can't think of right now)

Sleepers (powerful movie - awful awful what happens in the first half, but the 2nd half is revenge, oh sweet revenge)

The Shawkshank Redemption (Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins - love it)

Cheers all

Neil

82 Replies 82

cobber44
Community Member
yeah i am a movie freak and half my problem is i want my life to be like the movies i watch except horror of course and i love rewatching them with others to see their reactions also

bungle
Community Member

Hi Neil,

Just a thought on movies. Cool idea. Do not recommend The Book Thief if you are having one of the those bad days. Pretty sad movie and definately not a good look if you a already depressed. I'm living proof of that.

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Bungle,

Thank you for that ... your recommendation is noted and I will definitely avoid that one.  The Green Mile is another one.  Oh and more recently, Red Dog;  ripping movie, but hellishly sad (whoops, spoiler alert)

But enough of those kinds, back to some good un's:

The Vacation movies:  Chevy Chase, although perhaps the last one was a bit too much:  Vegas Vacation.    Flying High was always good for a laugh or a grin.

And those who read my posts will know that I'm a mega dam of tears ready to explode but I cannot at the moment, but I do have my smaller moments from time to time:  where am I going with this?   Well about 3-4 years ago, I took my then, 9yo daughter along to the movie:

The Hannah Montana Movie (starring Miley Cyrus) and you know how I'm really comfortable with what I can say to anyone/everyone on this site ... well dear folks, I'm here to tell you that I cried during that movie.  It was sad tears, it was amazingly enough, happy tears for a particular moment in the movie.

Oh the shame of it all.

I think I'll hand in my Beyond Blue membership and toddle off after that particular announcement.

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oh Neil, if only she knew she could get that reaction from grown men without resorting to the twerk!

Yay for Shrek and Django Unchained ( brilliant movie)

I never could get through Pulp Fiction. You want a truly depressing movie, there's a sci fi called Demo Man. The ending is hellishly depressing.

Yet to see or read the Book Thief, or Stand By Me

GA

scorch
Community Member

Gosh, movies.  I'm more of a TV series type of girl, but I do enjoy a good movie too.

I loved the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies.

The Book of Eli was fascinating. 

I sometimes watch girly movies like A Walk to Remember or fun kiddie ones like Turbo or Finding Nemo. 

One of my very favourites is an old black and white film called Stage Door.  Love it!!!

I don't like movies that are continuations of TV shows but have different actors.... ugh!  lol, this is a fun thread.

Nathan_431
Community Member

I'm also a big Jackie Chan fan and Hong Kong cinema, the last one I saw was Police Story 2013.

Nathan_431
Community Member

The last film I enjoyed watching was Wolf Creek 2, I do watch a lot of horror films.

Hi everyone,

I like many films from many genres...so I'll list just some...

Fantasy - The Lord of the Rings -- The Hobbit -- Harry Potter

Read all the books first and was captivated to see them transferred to screen.

Sci-Fi - Star Wars -- Alien -- Matrix -- Planet of the Apes

Comedy - Naked Gun (Police Squad) -- Vacation (All except Vegas) -- Flying High -- Hot Shots -- always get a laugh from these, I'd also add Get Smart, but I prefer the series to the movie.

Horror - any zombie movie even though most are corny as, I set myself a goal to watch every zombie flick ever made and am nearly there - World War Z -- 28 Days/Weeks Later -- Night of the Living Dead (Original)

Romance - Ghost -- Sleepless in Seattle -- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Drama - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe -- One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest -- The Shawshank Redemption

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of a four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who experienced heaven during emergency surgery. 

If you can tolerate the first 15 minutes of Christian church stuff the film starts with, the story line is very touching and pulls heavy on the heart strings. I must have caught myself with teary eyes at least a half dozen times during the movie.