FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Have you ever felt this way?

the_motorcycle_boy
Community Member

"Well, oh well I feel I'm in decay"

The first line of a popular Midnight Oil song and I think a description most apt, for some people experiencing depression.

One of the biggest dilemmas I've faced in "depressive-illness land" is the one of being alone and having no viable means of changing that fact...let me explain...

My depression causes me to be apart. I feel different from others. I find it very hard to mix with people who are "alive and well". So, I remain alone bundled up in a safe but miserable cocoon.

I know what I need. I can feel the loneliness, an ache inside. In my mind's eye I see a ghostly parade of familiar faces, old friends, all gone now. Still, I need people, people to talk to, to communicate with, maybe God permit, a laugh!

But I can't escape what I'm in, so I must wait for it to pass...weeks...months...years.

I'm reminded of a quote by Charles Bukowski regarding his drinking/literary lifestyle. I think it fits depression too.

"And as my hands drop a last desperate pen, in some cheap room, they will find me there and never know my name, my meaning nor the treasure of my escape".

165 Replies 165

Hi K,

No worries about the missed post. These things happen. Thanks for replying and explaining a complicated issue.

I can relate to your worrying, over-thinking, sadness and obsessiveness. I have experienced all of these in the past too. You sound like you have accepted yourself warts and all and are living in the present which I think are both huge pluses. I try to do the same.

Understanding what triggers your illness contributes a hell of a lot to your well being. I'm still learning about my triggers. One is the need to recharge as you put it. From self help books I learned other ways to maintain oneself for e.g. affirmations said silently to oneself.

All the best with your journey. Looking forward to hearing more from you (when it suits!).

Cheers TMB

Hi Indra,

Thanks for the positive feedback, it helps a lot. Will watch Holy Grail again sometime, I think I have it. I thought Fawlty Towers was pretty good too. Anyway, hope you are travling ok. Am not writing much at present, still in preparation mode. One day! Good luck with yours.

Cheers TMB

Hi Mz,

Yes, aren't amazing people's quotes full of meaning, just fantastic. It is Hermann Hesse that I was referring to. I was enthralled by his book, "Siddhartha" He has lots of very well liked ones.

It's wonderful that as you say. you're beginning to stop self blame. I try to self-accept all the time though it's sometimes difficult. I'll tell you what I do, I hope it's helpful. I use self affirmations to bolster my self-esteem especially if I'm being self critical. e.g. I say to myself, "Stop!...I am a good person, I love and accept myself just the way I am". I repeat these to myself and it helps. Better than all negative stuff.

Take care

TMB

Hey TMB,

As for travelling today wasn't the brightest of days - just one foot in front of the other. I take the few shining moments when I can and battled a demon, which is a start. I am finding talking on here is a great relief and release. Having some cyber friends who listen certainly makes up for a huge lack of physical friends. I can drink coffee alone lol Hope you enjoy your weekend - now I am back to watch Shrek 2 - the positive of having children! Indra

Hi Indra,

Sorry your day wasn't the best. From what you say, it seems this thing weighs heavily on you at times. That's no good at all. Please feel free to unload if you wish, any time. Not sure how much I can help but I will be, at the very least, a good listener!

That's great that the forums are so good for you. We are very lucky to have you with us too! I get a lot out of BB as well. And I can identify with what you say re: a lack of physical friends. Cyber buddies unite!

My weekend is going well. Had lunch today at a Thai restaurant and did my grocery shopping.  Am looking forward to the local markets tomorrow. I'll be treasure hunting for movies and any other bargains I can find. I love it. Hope you have a brilliant "rest of the weekend!"

P.S. Wish I had kids! I love SHREK 2. haha!

Cheers TMB

Hey TMB,

Glad your weekend is going well!! Asian food is definitely a must - limited outings here, but did get to a great Korean restaurant a few weeks back. Markets are great for finding a bargain and I am definitely a bargain hunter - although I must say I am definitely not a girly girl as I deplore regular shopping lol Good luck I hope you find something ☺

I am also finding some useful info on the forums and actually finding it is giving me some answers as to why I am on thus road. A lot stems from my childhood. Thank you for lending an ear too - it's sometimes sad to think that people you have never met are listening to me more readily than people I know. I am thankful for the new cyber friends I am making. 

Also big kudos to you TMB for thanking Lauren (Mrs Dools) - she was the first person to really reach out to me on here and have finally been able to start opening up about myself. I have read some of your pieces and sounds like you have come along way.

Having children is a blessing and curse all rolled into one - but a reason why I stay strong abd focused.  Kids movies are fantastic - there is always something there for adults to get a chuckle. My 4 year old has just started his cinema experience - SpongeBob Movie, Shaun the Sheep and the new Avengers movie - I now have a Iron nan here - that and both kids have discovered Star Wars. 

Well I think I have babbled on enough for now - take care 

Indra

Hi Indra,

Great to hear from you again. Last year,I had "sizzling pork" at a Korean restaurant near my home. Delicious! I'm lucky as just around the corner from where I live are a bunch of really good restaurants.

I am still upset that the Sunday markets I was telling you about were cancelled due to rain. I get my monthly supply of movies there as most are only $2 each! They have a wide range too.

That's really good that you are finding answers on the forum. And some are coming from your childhood. I imagine quite a few of people have issues going back to their childhood. On the surface mine was happy and carefree, however, my brother insists that my defense mechanism was to block out all the bad stuff. Not sure about that!

I am really happy to lend an ear if that helps. Mrs Dools has really helped me too. I am starting to open up as well but it's not that easy sometimes. I'm not used to "letting it out" at all. But it feels good to have some cyber friends. I saw Mrs Dools' "1000th" post and thought why not celebrate it!

Yes, I can imagine you need to be strong for your kids and focused. Raising kids is a full-time, responsible job. It never happened for me, that is having children. It just wasn't on the cards.

KIds movies DO have something for adults. I remember allowing myself to watch "Aladdin" years ago with some friends and thought it was very entertaining. The old Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cartoons are quite funny too, I think.

So, both your kids have discovered Star wars? Wow there's a lot of movies to watch. I think the 7th one is out now. Do they have the toy lightsabers? Could handle one of those! lol

Thanks for listeniing,

Cheers TMB 

Hey TMB,

So disappointing about the markets - do the happen on a regular basis or a monthly thing? $2 is a bargain for a dvd - ebay has been my friend in that regard lol I can't always get out and about.

My brother and I have a bond as we went to hell and back as kids. Some of what happens makes you resilient and some still tears me down  - some of my stuff is on a thread with Lauren - and thanks for the ear - back at you too, I am a talker. I guess that's from not talking to many people, when I  have a chance there's a backlog lol 

My two are both challenging and rewarding - both on the Autism Spectrum and a big age gap too (15 and 4 ). They both like the old Bugs Bunny stuff too - so do I 😀😀

As for light sabers I am not game enough with the little one - he has also discovered wrestling. Both however have Stormtrooper figures and a 80cm Darth Vader!!!!

Was good to hear from you - trying to be positive after a few tough days with my older son's anxiety - hanging in there.

Damn now I have the Stars Wars theme music stuck in my head!!!! 

Take care,

Indra

Hi Indra,

Yeah, once every month the markets are on. I just joined E bay myself. I wanted a game called Quake. I had to join Paypal as well. I bought the game from America. It cost $10 U.S. plus $20 for freight! Now I have to put Dosbox on my computer to play it! Geez.

Yes! I call it endurance, what one needs to get thru life and especially MI. I even have the Chinese symbol tattooed on my back!  I'll have a squiz at your thread, so you are a talker I'm a closet talker.ha ha!

I know a lady who has a boy with autism living with her . He is a great kid. He plays the guitar and dances around a lot. He's around 12 and she loves him dearly. Wow! stormtroopers and a Darth Vader toy, sen__sat___ion___al!

Sorry to hear you had a few rough days, tell me about it if you like. I had a rough day Saturday. Fell in the trough for a day or so, feeling better now. My depression, I hope, is just about finished (touch wood). It has plagued me for many years but now it's getting better.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I bet you're a fast typer too.ha!

Am about to order the new Fall album and a friend has just bought the Madden bros. CD Looking forward to some sublime listening.

!All the Best

TMB

Hey TMB,

I used to be a fast typist when I was at work - rusty now lol Haven't been able to work for a couple of years because of my kids situations.

Ebay is great if the postage isn't to horrendous - I haven't gotten into gaming yet, so you are speaking a foreign language there lol just call me technology challenged. I only got a "modern" phone last year, so went all out and got a Galaxy S5 - took me awhile to figure it out lol 

My older son had quite a few meltdowns over the weekend and it can be small things that trigger it off too. His verbal communication is limited and it took a strong dose of meds to calm him down. It's not easy as he us now taller and bigger than me. It makes me feel lost and frustrated as I try and do as much for him as I can and when I can't help him it breaks me down. 

Sorry to hear you had a rough day as well and even happier to hear you bounced back quickly. I guess this wonderful roller coaster  is going to always be up and down.

I have been dealing with things for years and always get - "you are a strong person or independent"  little do they know. At least on here I can be me without getting judged. 

Awesome that you got your tattoo! I have 6 lol I would like to get more - just a matter of funds. I have great difficulty spending money or doing things for myself - just something else that is in my mix.

Good stuff on getting your new CD - googled the band - will get around to having a listen on youtube. I have been listening to Ramnstein's Rosenrot  (Rose Red) lately. I love Hilf Mir (Help Me ) and Spring (Jump). I enjoy doing the translate from German to English - my mum is German.

Onwards and upward - stay awesome 

Indra