FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi everyone. I am wishing you all a very Happy New Year!

Happiness can mean something different to every person, and sometimes we need to look for that happiness in the blur, the haze or the fog of our days.

Happiness came to me yesterday when a couple of my clients were concerned for my health and well being.

Happiness came to me when I returned home absolutely exhausted and my husband had set the table ready for our guests and had brought in the washing!

Happiness was being able to go to bed and cry for two hours due to my exhaustion and to know if our guests arrived and I hadn't made fancy salads, it did not matter.

Happiness was knowing our friends wanted to spend the evening with us, even their two daughters who could have been with boyfriends/friends instead!

Happiness was knowing our friends know of my mental health struggles and they still came to be with us!

Happiness was a wonderful evening appreciating each other's company and being able to laugh.

Happiness this morning is knowing that despite the tears that are about to fall down my face due to my exhaustion/depression/stress and feeling so overwhelmed by life, I am alive!

Happiness is knowing I have hope for the future. I have plans I want to fulfil. I have people I want to visit and spend time with. I have a marriage I want to improve. I have a garden I want to spend time in. I have craft projects I am wanting to start and others I want to complete. I have a book I want to finish writing and hope to write a children's story as well.

HAPPINESS! Sometimes it seems so illusive, sometimes it is there and we take it for granted, and sometimes we don't realise it is with in us.

I hope you all find Happiness. Love and cyber hugs from Mrs. Dools

19 Replies 19

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Mrs. Dools, my heartfelt wish for you and everybody else who visits this site for a very Happy New Year and dearly hope that this year will bring joy, some achievement in how we are able to cope with all that confronts us.

There will be many hurdles we will have to face during the year, some we can handle and some would seem to be impossible, and it's those ones which we look at and feel as though we can't jump over, but in time with learning and patience we will be able to.

It is a long process but we have one advantage which we need to remember and that is 'Our Demons' never celebrate, so please let's face this year hoping and wishing for a Happy New Year. Geoff.

Neil_1
Community Member

Dear Mrs Dools

Happiness was me reading your post and all that was related to it.  I'm so pleased that you got to spend last evening with your husband and good friends and that the evening/night went along really well for you.  Good times, good memories - we need to cherish those.

To Geoff - my friend, I can't add much more to what you posted, so I'll simply say:  "What he said".  Perfect.

Cheers to all;  and to all, cheers.

Neil

Natarsha
Community Member

Happiness last night was spending time with a friend who has truly known me for 15 years and accepts the way I am.

Also, I was especially happy when my 13 year old son cuddled me and rested his head on my shoulder as we watched fireworks lit just 50m from us on the beach. He never does this and made my night.

Anny
Community Member

Dear Mrs Dools,

Thank- you for the eloquently written prose. I too like Geoff and Neil enjoyed reading your positive words - a wonderful and inspiring way to start the year. 

One new" happiness" for every day of the year please! 

Love, 

Anny 

Anny
Community Member

P.S I hope you finish your book and write the children's story too!

Anny

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Anny,

Yes I too hope I finish my book. I have so many ideas for books in my head, I just need to make the time to write them.

I wonder why sometimes I make my days more difficult then they need to be? That is something I need to work on.

One "New Happiness" for every day of the year! Wow. I like that challenge and I will see what I can come up with.

Cheers for now, from Mrs. Dools

Anny
Community Member

Hi Mrs Dools,

Think " mindfulness" - I honestly believe it helps very much. Some days when I am feeling totally overwhelmed with everyday stresses and big life issues I remind myself ( it's a working progress this mindful way of life - about 6 months so far for me  of consciously trying) to just stop for a second , take some deep breaths , think calm thoughts , repeat my mantra ( find one you like - Deepak Chopra has good ones that I like) and simply tell myself that " hey what's the worst .... It will all fall into place " . You learn to just do one thing at a time without racing and I don't know - it goes against the grains at first but I honestly think I'm becoming a lot less stressed and much calmer. Some days ofcourse.... Still new at it. 

Oh and yes , don't sweat the small stuff as they say. Good on you re the salads , what does it matter if they are not fancy. Oh and another important thing I've had to learn (in my fifties) -say " NO"  when you have to. If someone's offended then they're not worth worrying about. It's you first! 

Make sure you write your book ideas down so that they don't clutter your mind , keep a little pad with you all the time -one day they will all be there for you.  Will keep an eye out for your beautiful happiness quotes , if one a day is too much then " too bad" - just think it !

Be kind to yourself , you sound like a beautiful person with lots of people in your life who love you. 

Sincerely, 

Anny

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Anny,

Thank you so very much for your wonderfully kind and supportive words, and for your advice.

I have practised Mindfulness in the past, so I could certainly try to get back on track with that. Any idea on how to stay focused when you feel like someone is bumping into you all the time and you feel like they are pushing all of your buttons!

For some reason this person has difficulty understanding that NO is No. I will just have to learn another way of saying NO that he will understand or that I at least can stick to!

I am a different person outside of our home these days and only generally feel stressed, like I am loosing it and out of control when I am at home and with a certain someone.

Next week I am seeing a mental health nurse whom I am hoping will help me with my different issues.

Today as I was out working, I was thinking of the "One Happiness A Day" idea. I am now going to buy a book that I can write and draw  in and will try to fill it up over the year. So thanks for that excellent idea!

I went to a newsagent today to buy a sketch book especially but they didn't have anything without lines in it. So I will keep looking.

Look for my new thread called "Daily Happiness Experiences"

Thanks again for your encouragement, from Mrs. Dools

Anny
Community Member

Hi Mrs Dools!

Gosh! That's great. Yes , find a book that is exactly right! Keep looking until you find the one that is perfect. Something that Jane Austin would have used is what I invision. It will be very special! 

I wish I could give you some advice about not letting people get to you . I can't because the reality is that I am not good at that either. So often my head is screaming one thing and my mouth is saying something other. I once agreed to work full time and not part as I was employed for because I didnt have the courage to speak up to my aggressive boss.... Worked there for 10 years - was always frightened of resigning! 

As for home life , it is your partner that has this affect on you? Hopefully you will get some professional advice from the nurse . I too am about to go to a psychologist for the first time in about 10 days. Pretty scared actually. So guess what I'm saying is you're not alone. We have to keep searching for answers and hope that in time with help life will evolve to a calm place. 

I will find your post and look forward to being a part of your following!

Take care ,

Anny x