FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,085 Replies 2,085

RunGirl
Community Member

Hi Croix, yes I love that song too. Sorry about the wrong thread (I meant to use my other thread but just punched the wrong link). Also sorry about the trigger. It's so hard to know what triggers we are hitting when we write here because our experiences have been so varied.

Best

RG

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear RunGirl

Don't worry about where you posted, if you thought it worthwhile you might like to try again in your own thread -as I say you might get better answers than I can give.

With triggers, there is no way to know what some people are sensitive to, your poem was fine, the problem was me.

I liked "gentle repetition vanquishing"

I play "Windmills" to help lift spirits and relax.

Do you have similar?

Croix

RunGirl
Community Member

surprisingly, the same song. Also "Jersey Thursday" by Donovan, "The Holy ground " by Mary Black and the roger Whitaker version of "The Streets of London". i have no idea who he covered..and a song by Buffy Sainte Marie which I think is called "November Child". "desperado" by the Eagles gets, as do a few of their songs.

I was was born a bit be after my generation on some way musically but there are are also plenty of modern songs that touch me in different ways in different moods.

RG

RunGirl
Community Member
Sorry about the typos.....it's a bit late. The witching hours for typing!!!

Moonstruck
Community Member

Your mention of Windmills Of Your Mind reminded me of a fabulous old LP I had/still have I think...of The Sandpipers greatest hits....plus Guantanamera, Song of Joy and other haunting melodies. Gosh it was relaxing and lovely. Don't know where to find a CD of it, but I'd get it again if I could. The music was just beautiful.....hope all going well with you.

Thanks Moonstruck, I love that song so much as does Croix, apparently!!! For something a bit different but equally mesmerising, try Buffy Sainte Marie.....

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon~

Yup, I'm OK. Other people like that LP too, I saw two on eBay, one in N Qld and one in NSW, quite cheap. The down side being you need a turntable, or someone to digitize it for you. The songs were excellent: Guantanamera, Yesterday, All My Loving, And I Love Her, plus seven more. I don't know if it was ever a CD.

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear rungGirl~

I like Buffy Sainte-Marie as she has got older. For instance I thought her Universal Soldier in the 60's a bit 'clean' when contrasted with her 90's version, much richer. Interesting lady, even older than me!

Mind you I like the Donovan version too. Plus Jersey Thursday is lovely with rich imagery, really appeals, someone said it was the Jersey isles, not the US city -and gulls, not girls. Doesn't matter I guess.

I prefer Ralph McTell's Streets of London to Whitaker's as it has less 'beat', more easy.

If one mentions Donovan one ought to mention Joan Baez. I guess with Moon looking in Diamonds and Rust might be appropriate 🙂

When I played that Eagles number I was treated to an artwork by Guido Daniele, being an eagle head made from a painted hand. He does amazing stuff.

Getting back to music, I think apart from Windmills then for me The Sounds of Silence by S & G -1964 comes a close second.

Thanks for the musical tour, I always enjoy playing other people's recommendations.

Croix

RunGirl
Community Member

Joan Joan Joan.....my hero. Her voice is sublime, she encouraged me by example not to dye my grey hair (I have a lot from all the surgery and seizures) and having lived in the Czech Republic so long, one can't go past the story of her allowing then-dissident Vaclav Havel to carry her guitar on stage, thus making him part of her entourage and immune to arrest by the communist police....then continuing to sing Donna Donna acapella when the thought police pulled the power out on her. Magnificent woman.

In fact I was a bit bewildered by your thoughts on Jersey Thursday, I have always sung it as "gulls" and imagined the The Jersey Islands, especially as Donovan is Welsh, not American. It just makes more sense to me I love his version of "Universal Soldier"...it's so innocent yet somehow wise too. Another pair I'm desperately in love with - you guessed it - Simon and Garfunkel, the genius songwriter and the angelic voice paired up....uffff. I am also really into the Hollies for some reason. I don't even know why. Then we get to more modern music....INXS (not the same without MH), Crowded House, Melalica, REM (I was at one of their last concerts before they disbanded), Lady Gaga, Norah jones.....I could go on and on....

RG

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear RG et al. (with a nod to Mary)~

I'm not sure I'm with you about the hair, Joan did indeed have grey hair and also sang that Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair, though I like Nina Simone's version, lower.

"I love his version of "Universal Soldier"...it's so innocent yet somehow wise too" -now that is what I'd been thinking but not realized, spot-on. I've a soft spot for the Welsh 🙂 -see my

Forums / Staying well / Store Your Happy Memories Here:

thread where I rabbit on endlessly about my Welsh childhood.

I didn't mind The Hollies, Carrie Anne with the almost West Indian style was a change. I'd not listened to Nora Jones before, the bluesy style of Carry On appeals

I'm afraid I'm a bit all over the place, a favorite is Tom Waits - "God's Away On Business" plus of course the Cookie Monster version:)

Croix