FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Beyond Blue Home Improvement Thread

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi everyone. I'm Geoff and have been a dedicated Volunteer on the forums for 13 years. I am proud to have stopped some of the stigmas that are associated with mental health as well as doing my best to help others too

Before my health went south I was a builder in all aspects of home construction and renovation. If you don't have a handyman around I hope I can offer you some tips that may be of help. I have had many years of experience in home renovation and will do my best to help you out if you are stuck and need some advice

I hope my experience may be of help to the people on Beyond Blue and make their life a little bit better. Even if you need help with the most basic painting job or putting up a shelf I can help there too with some tips

I will do my best to get back to anyone that has a question when I can as this is social yet important thread

Geoff
1,301 Replies 1,301

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Everyone, is anybody considering building a deck.

Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Everyone, what are you all doing at the moment and any problems?

Geoff.

Guest_1584
Community Member

Hi Geoff , thanks for checking in on everyone.

l've finished work for the yrs , maybe for good , we see. But there's been another hold up in selling the house so l have plenty of time now to finish things l wanted to do.

Nothing too much or complex , going for simple . Just more finishing of fencing on two sides, some carpet and a bit of paintwork, a small pathway, few other little things.

Thanks for all your help over the times, hope your doing ok.

rx

Hello RX, thanks for getting back and sometimes the simple things in life turn out to be complicated, I hope not.

Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Everyone, what are your accomplishments for 2022.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everyone, I'd be interested in knowing what you're all up to around the house.

Geoff.

Guest_1584
Community Member

Gday to Geoff and all

Everything's been on hold at my place last 6 mths Geoff so nothing happening. The ladies suppose to be subdividing the two blocks that join this place , like 2yrs ago and l'm still waiting bc when that's done l'll probably sell. So frustrating .

So l've just been hanging back with any work on the place to get it ready to sell when she does do them and so haven't done much at all.

l did take out the old clothes line the other day , this was a really big old school original with bits welded on it over the yrs sitting out in the middle of the yard about 3mtrs across, weighed a tone. Well we get really strong cross winds here and clothes just rip of end up all over the yard or in the blocks next door. And it's been an eye sore 6yrs now. Butttt, it's gone.

So old and heavy nothing would undo an bits weld on all over the place, so l got the angle grinder onto it and cut it down piece by piece, quite an ordeal for just a clothe line l tell ya buttttt, she's now gone. Can't even recognize the yard looks so different. l've got a nice little section out the back door and l put up one of those wall/fence mounted fold out clothe lines. So nice, no winds to worry about gets great sun and it's just straight out the back door.

Bit of a rant for a clothes line l know sorry , but it's totally changed the property can't believe it.

Anyway , l've still gotta finish the fencing but have been putting ti of until l hear about the blocks. But l'll only be doing that and a bit of painting and tidying from there.

All the best

rx

Hello RX, I'd almost given up but know the type of clothes line you are talking about and they do weigh a ton, my twin and I used to swing on the one at home many many years ago and always told not to but as soon as Mum went inside back we'd go, great fun, except I was heavier than him.

Good to hear from you.

Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I remember years ago when I could purchase 'no-gaps' for .99c a tube, now it's for sale at $10.65 and LG for my van was $0.07c a litre, now it's over a dollar, I must be gettiing old.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

What is the easiest way to dismantle a garden shed that has been put together with rivets that are now rusted? I have no idea how to remove them.

And how would I put it back upon my own? Are there special rivets that don't rust?