FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can we improve the forums? Your suggestions and comments please

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.

While we might not be able to implement everything straightaway, or keep everyone happy all of the time, we'd like to hear about what you think we can do better.

This is not a thread for discussing the moderation or editing of individual posts - if you have questions about this please contact the team offline via email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

To avoid repeating suggestions already received, below are some results from our last user survey giving an indication of which new features people would like to see on the forums. This survey was answered by 1,597 users:

44% - Email notification when I have a reply on the forum
39% - Access to the forums via an app
27% - Ability to block seeing posts by specific users
25% - Ability to contact users privately
25% - Ability to use emoticons
25% - Ability to follow posts by specific users
24% - Ability to share links
23% - Forum posts visible only to registered users
22% - A profile, viewable by others users, where I can introduce myself
21% - Ability to quickly access all posts by a particular user
15% - Ability to tag users in a conversation
10% - Ability to share images
6% - Ability to share videos
17% - None of these

Update July 2022 - This discussion has now been closed. Please go to the updated version below to share feedback and follow our updates:

How can we improve the Forums?

957 Replies 957

mmMekitty

thanks for your explanation.

I have read that as well as autism, ADHD and dyslexia term Aldo refers to other types.

Other Types
Other types of neurodivergence include Tourette's, dyspraxia, synesthesia, dyscalculia, Down syndrome, epilepsy, and chronic mental health illnesses such as bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, and depression.

Yeah, Quirky, that's what I saw in my quick search. I hadn't realised so many other conditions are now considered Neuro-diverse. So, looks like I am TOO! & so is nearly everyone on these forums???!

Now I would really liketo do more research... damn, I wish I wasn't getting so tired & my legs would not hurt so much, so I could sit & really go down a long & winding rabbit hole!

mmMekitty😺

Hi all,

Good to see neurodivergence getting some attention again. As some have said here, autism and ADHD are perhaps the best known neurodiversities, and dyslexia wears that hat, too. I suggested a neurodiverse section myself some while back and there were a number of people at the time that also wanted to see something more specifically for us - it's definitely wanted in the community and very necessary for some of us.

As someone with ADHD, I find it really frustrating that I have no sense of community with what I'm dealing with; I've consistently failed to find a comfortable, safe space to talk about life with this condition among others dealing with the same things - and believe me, I've tried hard to find one. It is disheartening, and I'm certain I am not the only one having this struggle.

Just gonna repeat Quirky's helpful input here about neurodivergence in general:

"Other types of neurodivergence include Tourette's, dyspraxia, synesthesia, dyscalculia, Down syndrome, epilepsy, and chronic mental health illnesses such as bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, and depression."

There are a couple on the list I would want to research to double check, most particularly depression and anxiety as I believe they come up in neurotypical people also, but for the most part I know these to be accurate from my own prior research. Going to also quote mmMekitty here, as I think your words are relevant:

"Neurodiverse refers to how people think atypically, have, perhaps, a disconnect with the world, like it doesn't quite fit... maybe..."

Whilst I understand "neurodiverse" to be a term referring to us being literally neurologically different to the majority of people, this description says a lot about the lived experience of those of us with that particular label. I can't speak for everyone, but that's absolutely how I feel and something echoed by other neurodiverse people I know. We don't fit, or feel like we fit. There is also something called "rejection sensitive dysphoria" (a disproportionate sense of rejection where it is seen or perceived in social situations) which affects a lot of neurodiverse people, no doubt heightened by literally being in a society that doesn't make space for us and in some cases kinda vilifies us for being how we are. So yeah, neurodiverse section please, BB! We'd like to be included.

Blue.

Thank you, Blue's Clues, I wasn't sure I had that right, but I've heard it from a couple I know. He has Asperger's Syndrome, & she has dyslexia (& writes poems & stories).

For me, I've always felt myself to be an outsider. As I grew, kids around seemed to confirm my feelings by excluding me & pushing me away. But I didn't always have problems with anxiety or depression; that came later, as did the PTSD & some social phobia. I have environmental causes for my mental health conditions.

I think that might be an important difference to note. Someone who has had anxiety or depression since a very young age, & for no environmental cause, like problems in the family, or people from outside, some traumatic incident or something - & maybe here, I also had my father taking us away from my mother, never to see her again, when I was four. That may have caused me to be a more withdrawn & nervous child.

Would these things happening in childhood cause neurological changes that would change how the child thinks & percieves the world forever?

(I do apologise - this has been off-topic for this Thread.)

I haven't come across other threads before seeing The Other Guy's 'Autism' Thread. So please, if there is a category where these threads can be more easily found, would make The Other Guy's request, & Blue's Clues suggestion previously, an important idea.

Warmly.

mmMekitty

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

Hopefully I can provide a tiny bit of insight here and the ProjectTeam or other champions/members can jump in.

• We are really conscious of the fact it might be hard to navigate the forums even though our aim is to make it as easy as possible. We are going to have a FAQ thread like we do now that will cover lots of common questions as well as help navigating the forums.
  • We can potentially create a seperate IT thread FAQ as well, but anything you're unsure of or need help with anything you can email Beyond Blue directly through their platform and they can help you out.
  • Whenever the website is down, the webchat should be available. If it's not, try our Beyond Blue phone line, or Lifeline (text, online chat or call). It's hard having the site go down for maintenance so BB always want to make it as short as we can to get things back up and running.
  • There are lots of things on wishlists! Please know that if something hasn't been implemented it doesn't mean we haven't heard you. Our platform is changing but has more potential to change in the future. We don't have a neurodiverse section (the sections will be the same), but we're always open to having these sections in the future and trying to accommodate everyone in the forums.
  • Our new platform will have email notifications! You can turn these off if you want to.

rt

Hi mmMekitty,

I am replying to your question about childhood experiences causing “neurological changes…forever” and have been reading about this very topic in a book called “The body keeps the score” by Bessel Van Der Kolk. It starts talking about PTSD in war veterans but moves quickly into childhood trauma. I think you might find it helpful in explaining how early childhood experiences affect mental health and also different treatment options (not limited to medication only).

In my opinion, yes, I do think it can shape a person’s brain chemistry and no, I don’t think it has to be forever.

With best intentions, Myfanais

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Myfanais, & a warm welcome to you.😺

Thank you for your response. I think I have heard of the book... but I'm not sure if I knew anything about it, except the name sounds familiar. I will see if I can find it online,(audio), & take a look.

Hope I see you around the forums where we might chat more.

mmMekitty

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I don't know what you have done to this site but it is a lot harder to get on this forum or is it just me?

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't know if anything there has changed, Matchy. Mind, I am set up to automatically Login when I open the site via my Favourites Bar link.

I haven't notice any changes, yet, although Sophie_M did make a thread to advise that some usernames have to change, because some characters will no longer be available to have in usernames.

mmMekitty

Hey RT 🙂

Its always a bonus to read some good news when you mentioned 'Our new platform will have email notifications! You can turn these off if you want to'

Thankyou for being the Champion you are! Nice1

my kindest always

Paul